THE MOST FROM THE COAST !

..


 Coastweek website


XINHUA NEWS SERVICE REPORTS FROM THE AFRICAN CONTINENT

 

Death toll from Tanzania fuel tanker explosion rises to 75: official | Coastweek

MOROGORO Tanzania (Xinhua) -- People line up to identify bodies of victims in Morogoro. Tanzanian President John Magufuli has declared three days of national mourning following an oil tanker explosion that killed over 60 people and injured 70 others in Morogoro on Saturday. XINHUA PHOTOS

Death toll from Tanzania fuel tanker explosion rises to 75: official

by Lucas Liganga DAR ES SALAAM (Xinhua) -- The death toll from the fuel tanker explosion in Tanzania’s eastern region of Morogoro has reached 75, an official from the east African nation’s leading medical facility said on Monday.

Sixty people died on the spot and 70 others were seriously injured when the fuel tanker exploded after it had overturned on Saturday morning.

Aminiel Aligaesha, the Muhimbili National Hospital head of communications, said the latest deaths were among 43 survivors who were transferred to the facility for specialized treatment.

"We have lost another four victims of the explosion who were receiving treatment at the hospital. We are now remained with 39 survivors," he said.

On Sunday most of the victims were buried in a mass grave in Morogoro region after their bodies were burnt beyond recognition.

Most of the dead were reportedly trying to collect leaking petrol from the overturned fuel tanker before it exploded and caused huge flames.

On Sunday, Prime Minister Kassim Majaliwa announced the formation of a special team to investigate into the fuel tanker explosion.
.

UPDATES:

Death toll climbs to 97 in Tanzania fuel tanker explosion

DAR ES SALAAM Tanzania (Xinhua) -- The death toll has reached 97 from the fuel tanker explosion in Tanzania’s eastern region of Morogoro, an official said on Monday.

Aminiel Aligaesha, the Muhimbili National Hospital spokesperson, said three more deaths were recorded on Sunday and Monday, bringing to 97 the number of deaths from the ghastly accident.

Aligaesha said 18 injured victims of the tragic accident that occurred on Aug. 10 were still fighting for their lives at hospital, Tanzania’s leading state-run medical referral facility in the commercial capital Dar es Salaam.

"Doctors are fighting to save the lives of the 18 victims admitted to the hospital’s intensive care unit," said Aligaesha.

The explosion killed over 60 on the spot in Morogoro region, located 200 kilometers west of Dar es Salaam.

Last week, 71 of the deceased were buried in a mass grave in Morogoro region.

Most of the dead were reportedly trying to collect leaking petrol from the overturned fuel tanker before it exploded.

The tanker reportedly overturned after its driver tried to avoid knocking down a motorcycle rider.
.

Tanzania fuel tanker explosion death toll climbs to 89: official

DAR ES SALAAM Tanzania (Xinhua) -- The number of people killed in a fuel tanker explosion in Morogoro, Tanzania, has risen to 89 on Thursday, an official said.

Aminiel Aligaesha, public relations officer with the Muhimbili National Hospital, the country’s leading medical referral facility, said seven more victims died on Thursday.

"Doctors and nurses are working round the clock to save the lives of 31 victims admitted to the hospital," Aligaesha said.

The seven were among the 38 admitted to the hospital with severe burns after the explosion Saturday that killed over 60 on the spot in Morogoro, 200 km west of commercial capital, Dar es Salaam.

On Sunday, 71 of the deceased were buried in a mass grave.

Most of the dead were reportedly trying to collect petrol leaked from the overturned fuel tanker before it exploded.

Also on Sunday, Prime Minister Kassim Majaliwa announced the formation of a special team to investigate into the explosion.

"The investigative team should submit its report to me by Friday," Majaliwa told people who gathered at the Morogoro regional hospital to identify bodies of victims.
.

Death toll from Tanzania fuel tanker explosion rises to 82

DAR ES SALAAM Tanzania (Xinhua) -- The death toll from eastern Tanzania’s fuel tanker explosion has risen to 82, an official with the east African nation’s leading medical referral facility said on Wednesday.

"Six more victims of the ghastly explosion have died, bringing the number of deaths to 82 until now," said Aminiel Aligaesha, senior public relations manager with the Muhimbili National Hospital in the commercial capital Dar es Salaam.

Aligaesha said the six victims were among the 38 admitted to the hospital with severe burns after the explosion that killed over 60 on the spot in Morogoro region, located 200 kilometers west of Dar es Salaam.

On Sunday, 71 of the deceased who were burnt beyond recognition were buried in a mass grave in Morogoro region.

The official said 32 were still receiving treatment at the hospital with 17 of them admitted in the Intensive Care Unit.

Most of the dead were reportedly trying to collect leaking petrol from the overturned fuel tanker before it exploded.

On Sunday, Prime Minister Kassim Majaliwa announced to form a special team to investigate into the fuel tanker explosion.

"The investigative team should submit its report to me by Friday," Majaliwa told people who gathered at the Morogoro regional hospital to identify bodies of victims of the explosion.

Majaliwa said the formation of the investigative team was aimed at enabling the government to know if relevant public authorities played their part after the accident occurred.
.

EARLIER REPORTS:

Tanzania Prime Minister Kassim Majaliwa directs five
ministries to plan for agro-processing factories

DAR ES SALAAM Tanzania (Xinhua) -- Tanzanian Prime Minister Kassim Majaliwa on Thursday directed five ministries in the east African nation to plan for the creation of agro-processing factories to add value to agricultural products.

Speaking at the climax of the week-long Farmers’ Day commemoration in the central region of Simiyu, Majaliwa said it is high time that Tanzania processed agricultural products, livestock and fisheries to add value.

The plan for the creation of the agro-processing factories shoud be done jointly by the ministries of agriculture, livestock and fisheries, industry and trade, the president’s office responsible for regional administration and local governments, and the prime minister’s office.

"Products such as hides, milk, beef, cashew nuts, edible oil, vegetables and fruits and clothing should be processed locally," said the premier when he represented President John Magufuli at the event televised live by state-run Tanzania Broadcasting Corporation.

On Tuesday, Majaliwa urged local manufacturers of various goods to capture the expansive market in the 16 member states of the Southern African Development Community (SADC).

"Tanzanian local industries are manufacturing goods that can compete in the SADC market and elsewhere," Majaliwa told a news conference shortly after he visited the 4th Annual SADC Industrialization and Exhibition Week in the business capital, Dar es Salaam.

The event, which was officially opened by President Magufuli on Monday, is part of activities ahead of the 39th Ordinary Summit of SADC Heads of State and Government, scheduled for Aug. 17-18.
.

Tanzania forest watchdog plans to save forests through beekeeping

DAR ES SALAAM Tanzania (Xinhua) -- Tanzania’s forest watchdog on Wednesday announced plans aimed at saving forests from further degradation by introducing beekeeping and discouraging unscrupulous felling of trees for making charcoal.

Dos Santos Silayo, executive officer of the Tanzania Forest Services, said the agency was inviting all those who currently depended on charcoal production for their livelihoods to use forests under its protection and other public woodlands for beekeeping free of charge in an effort to save trees from charcoal makers.

Silayo said the European Union (EU) has agreed to fund a major project starting later this year which will involve the roll-out of modern beehives for beekeeping, collection points in strategic honey-producing regions as well as marketing for local consumption and export regionally and internationally.

The official said Tanzanian honey has already been tested and approved for export in the EU, the United States and Asia.

Silayo said the project was set to revolutionize the honey sub-sector which currently produces just 55,000 tonnes per year, far below its potential of 135,000 tonnes.

"We hope that increased beekeeping activities in the public forests and woodlands will create a sense of ownership among keepers and tremendously decrease, and finally end logging for charcoal." Silayo said.
.

Tanzania seeks to boost honey production: official

DAR ES SALAAM Tanzania (Xinhua) -- The Tanzania Forest Services Agency (TFS) said on Tuesday plans were afoot to increase production of honey in the east African nation from the current 55,000 tonnes a year to 135,000 tonnes annually.

Dos Santos Silayo, TFS executive officer, said the European Union (EU) has agreed to fund a major project starting later this year which will involve roll-out of modern beehives for beekeeping, and collection points in strategic honey-producing regions.

The official said Tanzanian honey has already been tested and approved for export to the EU, the United States and Asia.

Silayo said the project was set to transform the honey sub-sector which currently produces just 55,000 tonnes per year, far below its potential of 135,000 tonnes.

"We hope that increased beekeeping activities in the public forests and woodlands will also help raise awareness among local people of protecting forests." he said.
.

Tanzania revokes license for hunting firm over failure to pay fees

DAR ES SALAAM Tanzania (Xinhua) -- Tanzanian authorities on Thursday revoked a hunting license for a UAE-based company.

The move came after the company had failed to pay hunting fees amounting 329 million Tanzanian shillings (about 143,000 U.S. dollars).

Hamisi Kigwangala, the Minister for Natural Resources and Tourism, said in a statement that Green Miles Safaris Limited had failed to pay the fees as hunting earnings to 23 villages around the hunting area.

The statement said the license has been revoked under his ministerial capacity and in accordance with the wildlife laws of 2009.

The revoking of the license followed a long standing conflict between the 23 villages and the hunting block’s license owners, said the statement.

The statement added the villagers had been claiming payment of the money from the license holders for the past two years.

In addition, the Tanzania Wildlife Management Authority (TAWA) had already suspended all the company’s tourism hunting activities within the East Lake Natron block after the company had failed to fulfill the license’s conditions.

Earlier this year, the TAWA assistant commissioner of tourism and business, Iman Nkuwi, said Green Miles Safaris Limited had failed to pay 40 percent fees from hunting earnings.

"We have stopped the company to continue hunting services in all its blocks," the official had said.

In 2014, the government revoked a hunting license in the Selous Game Reserve for Green Miles Safaris Limited after the company was accused of hunting with automatic weapons fitted with silencers, hunting female and young animals and using vehicles to chase and knock down animals, all prohibited in the law.

The company was also accused of allowing visitors to hunt unaccompanied by a professional hunter or game scout, hunting animals and birds not listed on its license and allowing a client younger than 18 years to hunt.

Lawyers of the company had said they intended to sue the government for stopping its operations in the Selous Game Reserve, a UNESCO world heritage site.
.

Tanzania watchdog launches crackdown on shoddy iron bars

DAR ES SALAAM Tanzania (Xinhua) -- Tanzania’s state-run standards watchdog on Sunday launched a national-wide crackdown on imported and locally made substandard iron bars used in the construction of houses and other structures, including bridges.

Donald Manyama, a senior inspector with the Tanzania Bureau of Standards (TBS), said the crackdown started in the commercial capital Dar es Salaam before it was extended across the east African nation.

"We visited traders at Kigamboni, Kariakoo, Mbagala and Buguruni areas and we found that most of the iron bars were substandard and they did not have required specifications particularly in length," said Manyama, an engineer by profession.

The official said the length of a genuine iron bar should be between 38 feet and 40 feet.

Ramadhani Shija, a TBS quality assurance officer, urged consumers to buy iron bars with required specifications to avoid constructing inferior houses or structures.

Shija appealed to people engaged in the construction industry to get advice on quality materials from recognized institutions.
.

SEE ALSO:

Tanzania in national mourning for victims of Oil tanker explosion

             

 

Remember: you read it first at coastweek.com !


 

TO ADVERTISE ON THIS WEB SITE:  www.coastweek.com
Please contact

MOMBASA - GULSHAN JIVRAJ, Mobile: 0722 775164 Tel: (+254) (41) 2230130 /
Wireless: 020 3549187 e-mail: info@coastweek.com

NAIROBI - ANJUM H. ASODIA, Mobile: 0733 775446 Tel: (+254) (020) 3744459
e-mail: anjum@asodia.co.ke

 
    © Coastweek Newspapers Limited               Tel: (+254) (41) 2230130  |  Wireless: 020 3549187  |  E-mail: info@coastweek.com