NAIROBI (Xinhua) --
A Kenyan charity said Thursday
all the 94 cases of people who were reported missing after the
attack on a business complex in Nairobi have been closed
The Kenya Red Cross Society (KRCS) said the
94 were accounted for by midday on Thursday, adding that it has
now embarked on counseling of survivors and relatives of the 21
people who were killed.
"Counseling sessions have so far been provided to 595
individuals and the Kenya Red Cross psychosocial teams continue
to pitch camp at Chiromo mortuary to attend to more people in
need of counseling," the charity said in a statement issued in
The move came as the police said on Wednesday that the attack
at 14 Riverside Drive complex claimed 21 lives and left many
Somalia says ready for
regional cooperation to fight terrorism
MOGADISHU Somalia (Xinhua) --
Somali President Mohamed Abdullahi Farmajo
said Thursday his administration is ready to partner with
regional countries in the fight against global terrorism.
Farmajo said he spoke on phone with his Kenyan counterpart
President Uhuru Kenyatta whose country was attacked by al-Shabab
on Tuesday resulting in the death of 21 people and several
injuries, and expressed solidarity with Kenya in this difficult
The Somali leader whose country is facing terror attacks from
terrorist group al-Shabab also condemned the attack which seemed
to target expatriates working for multinational companies
located in Kenya.
"The government of Somalia is always ready to cooperate with
our neighbors in all efforts to stop, eliminate and defeat the
evil of terrorism," Farmajo said.
"Our thoughts and prayers are with the Government and the
People of Kenya at this tragic time.
"Kenya is an important ally and a brotherly neighbor.
"Such heinous acts only serve to embolden our joint quest to
vanquish terror," he said in his Twitter account.
Somali terrorist group al-Shabab claimed responsibility for
the Tuesday attack.
The militant group claimed the Nairobi attack was a response
to the "witless remarks" of U.S. President Donald Trump and his
declaration of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel, and to the
"systematic prosecution of Muslims in Palestine."
condemns terrorist attack in Kenya
LAGOS Nigeria (Xinhua) --
Nigerian President Muhammadu
Buhari has condemned the deadly terrorist attack on a hotel and
office complex in Nairobi.
In a condolence message issued in Abuja, Nigeria’s capital on
Wednesday, the Nigerian leader commiserated with the government
and people of Kenya, describing the attack as wicked, cruel and
dastardly by evil people.
Buhari assured Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta that the
thoughts of the people of Nigeria are with Kenyans at this
moment of their national grief.
Buhari called on well-meaning members of the international
community to rally round Kenyans to overcome the scourge of
terrorism "because any terrorist attack on one country is an
attack on all countries."
The number of people killed when terrorists struck an upscale
hotel and business complex in Nairobi on Tuesday has risen to
21, the police said on Wednesday night.
The Somalia-based terrorist group al-Shabab has claimed
responsibility for the attack.
The group has been targeting Kenya-Somalia border areas and
killing innocent citizens since Kenyan soldiers entered Somalia
in 2011 to secure the two countries’ shared border.
India strongly condemns
terrorist attack in Kenya
NEW DELHI India (Xinhua) --
India on Thursday strongly condemned the
terrorist attack on a hotel in Kenya on Tuesday which left 21
"India strongly condemns the horrific terrorist attack in
Dusit D2 Hotel and offices complex in Nairobi on Jan. 15 which
caused loss of innocent lives.
"We stand in solidarity with Kenya at this juncture," said a
statement issued by India’s External Affairs Ministry.
"We express our sincere condolences to the families of the
victims, as well as to the people and Government of Kenya and
wish early recovery to the injured," it added.
At least five militants reportedly stormed the Dusit D2 hotel
and started indiscriminate firing on Tuesday.
Kenyan police said the 21 victims included 16 Kenyans, one
British, one American and three unidentified persons of African
Thai PM sends message of
condolences to Kenya on Dusit complex attack
BANGKOK Thailand (Xinhua) --
Thai Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha had
sent a message of condolences to Uhuru Kenyatta, president of
Kenya on the Dusit hotel complex attack in Nairobi on Tuesday,
the Thai foreign ministry said on Thursday.
In his message of condolences, the prime minister said he
learned with deep sorrow of the incident concerning a group of
armed assailants attacking the Dusit complex on Tueday, which
resulted in the loss of innocent lives and injuries.
On behalf of the government and the people of Thailand,
Prayut said he wished to extend his deepest sympathy and
condolences to the Kenyan president and through him to the
bereaved families of those who were affected by this terrorist
He said Thailand remains firmly committed to cooperating
closely with the international community in the global fight
agenda on course despite terror jitters: officials
NAIROBI (Xinhua) --
Kenya will hasten implementation of its agenda
for economic growth and social transformation despite tremors
triggered by a terrorist attack at an upmarket business complex
in Nairobi, officials said on Thursday.
Joe Mucheru, cabinet secretary of the Ministry of
Information, Communications and Technology, said that Tuesday’s
terrorist attack at the 14 Riverside Drive that houses luxurious
hotel chain DusitD2 and offices for multinational companies, has
not disrupted ongoing programs to revive the economy and promote
"The country has picked up pieces after the terrorist attack
and there is overwhelming support locally and abroad towards our
agenda for growth," Mucheru remarked at a press briefing held in
Kenya was in the global spotlight this week when
Somalia-based militants al-Shabab attacked the Dusit business
complex, killing 21 people including a police officer.
The terrorist attack at the premier business complex bore
resemblance to the one carried out by al-Shabab at Nairobi’s
Westgate shopping mall in September 2013 where 67 people lost
Mucheru said Kenya has learnt from previous terrorist attacks
to upgrade its response strategy and minimize damage to
"Our security forces moved swiftly to neutralize the
assailants and managed to evacuate 700 civilians to safety.
"The civilians came out strongly to send positive messages
that reinforced the narrative of our huge potential," said
He lauded foreign governments for refraining from issuing
travel advisories in the wake of the latest terror attack,
adding that Kenya remained a favorite tourist destination in
spite of the security challenges.
Fatuma Hirsi, principal secretary of the State Department of
Broadcasting and Telecommunication, said that Kenya has
addressed gaps in the national counter-terrorism strategy to
ensure future attacks are contained swiftly and cause minimal
disruption to economic activities.
"We are aware that terrorism is a global problem not
restricted to Kenya and other African countries hence our
resolve to ensure the evil does not overshadow positive
developments in the country," said Hirsi.
She noted that investors’ confidence remained high in the
wake of the latest terrorist attack thanks to swift response
from security apparatus.
Kenyan vulnerability to attacks remaining High despite
United Nations chief condemns 'al shabaab' terrorism in
President Kenyatta confirms 'Terror attack is now