Voyager Beach Resort banner | Coastweek



 Coastweek website



Kenya Wildlife Service rescue abandoned elephant
calf Llaro now safely rehomed at DSWT orphanage

NAIROBI -- Kenya Wildlife Service (KWS) in conjunction with David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust (DSWT) has rescued an abandoned and weak elephant calf aged about five months.
Apparently the lone calf lost touch with a herd of elephants in Ripoi area within Siana in Narok County.

Before the rescue operation, area community leaders had requested KWS operation team to drive off a herd of elephants at Ripoi area back to Olaro Conservancy. This was effectively executed.

Later herders in the area came across the weak lone elephant calf, and informed KWS officers.

The officers promptly brought the matter to the attention of KWS veterinary team in the County led by Dr. Limo.

Dr. Limo then got in touch with David Sheldrick rescue team which, together with KWS officers and the management of Olaro Conservancy, took the calf to DSWT orphanage inside the Nairobi National Park for treatment and care.

  KWS rescue abandoned elephant calf 'Llaro' - now safe at DSWT orphanage | Coastweek

NAIROBI -- 'Llaro' abandoned elephant calf rescued by KWS is now safely rehomed at David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust orphanage.
The calf has since joined the herd of orphaned elephants at the DSWT orphanage.

The female calf now named Llaro brings the number of elephants in the orphanage to 19.


Baby elephant rescued from gorge in western Tanzania

ARUSHA, Tanzania (Xinhua) -- A baby elephant which lost its herd and plunged into a deep gorge in western Tanzania’s district of Sumbawanga has been rescued, a senior official said on Tuesday.

James Wakibara, Director General for the Tanzania Wildlife Management Authority (TAWA) said that the baby elephant believed to have come from one of the game reserves in western part of the country was found trapped in a gorge on Sunday and was later airlifted to safety by conservationists aboard an airplane.

He said that the exercise to airlift the young elephant from Sumbawanga to the Makoa Farm’s elephant orphanage, located in Kilimanjaro, was performed jointly by TAWA and the Friedkin Conservation Fund.

The official said: "It took about three hours to transport the baby elephant from Rukwa to Kilimanjaro by plane.

"The Jumbo was escorted by wildlife and veterinary officers."

He said that if the young elephant could have died if it had stayed longer in the precipice.

"After spotting it, our officers reported the matter and we took efforts to rescue the animal," he said.

According to Wakibara, the little elephant will stay for a while at the Makoa Farm in Kilimanjaro where wildlife and veterinary officers will be checking its progress, before being released back into the wild to join its herd.

One of the stakeholders in conservation, Joram Laizer praised the joint efforts of Friedkin Conservation Fund and the TAWA in rapid act of ensuring the jumbo’s safety, especially at the time when wild animals face serious threats from poachers, diseases and being the underdog in human-wildlife conflicts.

Wildlife officials reveal here that the baby elephant was still in suckling stage and when it fell head-on into the gorge.

It badly injured both its trunk and mouth area, making it difficult for the jumbo to feed.

Still, it is being hoped that the baby elephant will recover in time to be sent back to join its family.

Due to drop in poaching cases, the number of elephants is on steady increase throughout the country and many of the jumbo are currently roaming freely across the landscape, with some, like this baby jumbo, accidentally falling into valleys.



Remember: you read it first at !

Zanzibar Serena Hotels banner | Coastweek


Please contact

MOMBASA - GULSHAN JIVRAJ, Mobile: 0722 775164 Tel: (+254) (41) 2230130 /
Wireless: 020 3549187 e-mail:

NAIROBI - ANJUM H. ASODIA, Mobile: 0733 775446 Tel: (+254) (020) 3744459

    © Coastweek Newspapers Limited               Tel: (+254) (41) 2230130  |  Wireless: 020 3549187  |  E-mail: