People are fleeing deadly clashes that erupted at the end of
last December between two communities in Yumbi, Mai-Ndombe
Province of Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), a UN
official said Friday.
Andrej Mahecic, for the United
Nations Refugee Agency (UNHCR), told a press briefing here
Friday that the UN is supporting local authorities in the
Republic of the Congo to provide humanitarian assistance to some
16,000 recently arrived refugees from the DRC.
According to the UN agency, an old rivalry between Banunus
and Batende communities led to fresh inter-communal clashes, and
the reignited dispute is reported to have killed dozens, with
around 150 injured arriving in Congo-Brazzaville.
This is the largest influx of refugees from the DRC in
Congo-Brazzaville in almost in a decade, since some 130,000
people were forced to seek shelter due to ethnic clashes in
DRC’s former Equator Province in 2009, Mahecic said.
He told reporters that refugees, mostly women and children of
the Banunu tribe, continue to arrive in Makotipoko and Bouemba
districts in the Republic of Congo where the Congolese
authorities and UN agencies, including UNHCR, are providing
medical treatment, food and non-food items.
Those fleeing DRC talked of attacks that left homes burned
and people killed, some feared an escalation in the conflict.
In DRC, Mahecic said, a recent humanitarian assessment
mission to Yumbi found more than 450 houses destroyed following
the clashes and found people in dire need of basic assistance
including food, health services and shelter.
"Authorities in the Republic of the Congo formally requested
the assistance of UNHCR and other humanitarian organizations.
"We are co-ordinating relief efforts to support the
government in assisting refugees," he said.
Provisional results of DRC
election postponed to next week: official
KINSHASA Democratic Republic of the
Congo (Xinhua) -- The publication of
the provisional results of the general election in the
Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), initially expected to be
announced on Sunday, has been postponed until next week,
according to Corneille Nangaa, president of the Independent
National Electoral Commission (CENI) of the country.
"It is not possible to publish the results on Sunday. We are
progressing well but we do not have everything done yet," said
Corneille Nangaa on Saturday without specifying the exact date
scheduled for publication.
"Next week we will certainly have the result," he added.
According to Nangaa, the CENI had only received around 45 to
48 percent of ballots across the country.
The election kicked off on Dec. 30 in the country, except for
three cities due to insecurity and the Ebola virus epidemic,
which had been hitting a large part of the North-Kivu province
in eastern DRC.