NAIROBI (Xinhua) --
Kenyan champions Gor Mahia FC promised they will
not sit on their 3-1 advantage when they play Lobi Stars FC of
Nigeria in the second leg of their CAF Champions League
encounter on Saturday in Enugu.
Speaking ahead of
their departure from Nairobi on Wednesday, captain Harun Shakava
maintained they would not play defensively in a bid to secure
passage to the lucrative group stages of Africa’s elite club
“We are going into
the second leg knowing what we need to do and with the plan we
have we believe we can overcome Lobi,” said Shakava, who has won
three domestic titles with the club.
Samuel Onyango was
the hero for Kenya’s most decorated club when he notched a first
half brace to add to an early opener from Rwanda international
Jacques Tuyisenge during last Sunday’s first leg in Nairobi.
The result left Gor
on the brink of history as the first Kenyan outfit to make the
group stages of a competition that will earn the 17-time
domestic league winners over 54 million Kenyan shillings
(530,000 U.S. dollars) in prize money.
“We had the chance
to score four or five goals in the first leg but we were unlucky
not to add to the goals we did score. We have now seen their
style of play and we believe that we can get an away goal that
will guarantee our safety in the competition,” Shakava told
A team of 18
players, five technical bench members and three officials made
the trip, with assistant head coach Zedekiah Otieno returning to
the side after being suspended from the first leg.
The losing team will
drop to the two-legged second-tier CAF Confederations Cup
play-off at the group stage.
Last season, Gor
lost 1-0 on aggregate to eventual Champions League winners
Esperance de Tunis, who are currently representing Africa at the
FIFA Club World Cup in Qatar.
Kenya averts embarrassing head
coach Migne’s resignation
NAIROBI (Xinhua) --
Kenya averted a potentially embarrassing
resignation of the country’s national team head coach, Frenchman
Sebastien Migne, after he received his two-month salary arrears
Migne, who led the
east African nation to their first CAF Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON)
finals for the first time in 15 years, had earlier in the day
threatened to quit claiming his three month dues had not been
credited in his account.
Federation (FKF) communications director Barry Otieno confirmed
his pay for two-months totaling 3.06 million Kenyan shillings
(30,000 U.S. dollars) was wired to his account but the Frenchman
was still left unsatisfied.
“The coach has a
contract with the government. He received his dues for September
and October but he is still unhappy since his agreement is to
get his payment for a period of three months.
“He wanted to go if
the terms of his contract were not met because he feels he is
not receiving the support he was promised,” Otieno told
journalists later Wednesday.
acknowledged receiving the payment but felt the working
conditions in Kenya will force him to quit the role he took up
in May as the long-term successor of Belgian Paul Put who
resigned to take up the coaching position Guinea in February.
He said since his
team sealed qualification for the 2019 AFCON finals, enough is
not being done to prepare the team for the biannual continental
football showpiece with a final Group F qualifier away Ghana due
to come in mid March.
“My friend from
Ghana was laughing at me this morning with the excitement in the
country,” Migne said.
Kenya who top the
pool on seven points will win the group with a win or a draw at
the home of the three-time African champions whom they stunned
1-0 in Nairobi on Sept. 8.
The two nations
booked their tickets to the finals at a yet to be determined
venue when CAF expelled Sierra Leone from the competition
following the international ban slapped on that country by world
governing body FIFA.
Since taking over,
Migne has led the team to two victories and a draw in the
qualifiers as Kenya made the AFCON finals for the first time
since Tunisia 2004.