THE MOST FROM THE COAST !

..


 Coastweek website


XINHUA NEWS SERVICE REPORTS FROM THE AFRICAN CONTINENT

 

Malaysia says credible evidence needed to restart MH370 search | Coastweek

PUTRAJAYA Malaysia (Xinhua) -- Possible debris of the missing MH370 was handed over to Malaysian Transport Minister Anthony Loke Siew Fook [left] in Putrajaya, Malaysia, November 30, 2018. Photographers [right] take pictures of possible debris of the missing MH370 in Putrajaya, Malaysia. Malaysian Transport Minister Anthony Loke Siew Fook said Friday the government was open to resuming the search for Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 but that requires "new credible evidence." MH370, carrying 239 on board, went missing en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing on March 8, 2014. Its main wreckage is yet to be found. XINHUA PHOTOS - CHIONG VOON CHUNG

Malaysia says credible evidence needed to restart MH370 search

PUTRAJAYA Malaysia (Xinhua) -- Malaysian Transport Minister Anthony Loke Siew Fook said Friday the government was open to resuming the search for Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 but that requires "new credible evidence."

Speaking to the press after the handover of possible debris of the missing plane, Loke reiterated the Malaysian government "never closed down" the possibilities to re-open the search.

"We have never close down any possibilities," he said, "If our authorities think there is any credible leads then we are always prepared to re-open."

Loke said in parliament on Thursday that the government would only be open to any search with credible leads surface.
.

Known flight path taken by Flight 370  | Coastweek

  Grace Nathan, a lawyer whose mother was on the plane, spoke on behalf of the several next of kin who were also present to handover the debris.

"We believe even though the pieces are small, together we can build a picture of what happened," she said, adding that the debris had been found between December 2016 and August of this year along the coast of Madagascar.

Five pieces of possible debris were handed over to Loke and most of them are the honeycombed material used in the aircraft, but one larger piece is said to be part of a Boeing 777 floor panel, the same model as the missing aircraft.

MH370, carrying 239 on board, went missing en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing on March 8, 2014. Its main wreckage is yet to be found.

In January, the Malaysian government entered into an agreement with U.S.-based company Ocean Infinity on a "no cure, no fee" basis to resume the search.

The company, by deploying multiple autonomous underwater vehicles along with the search vessel Seabed Constructor, combed over 112,000 square km of the ocean floor.

The effort ended in May without finding the plane.

Known flight path taken by Flight 370 (red), derived from primary (military) and secondary (ATC) radar data. The source map is in simple cylindrical projection (from Google Earth) and was gereferenced and distorted into a flat Mercator projection before being traced for this map. The data in the source image (ie. the flight path) that was traced to generate this map is the location of Flight 370. WIKIPEDIA IMAGE - AHENEEN
.
The official MH370 investigation team said in its detailed report in July that it remained unable to determine the real cause for the disappearance of the plane.
.

 JULY 2018 

Detailed report on MH370 disappearance fails to explain mystery

PUTRAJAYA, Malaysia (Xinhua) -- A detailed report on the disappearance of Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 in 2014, released by a safety investigation team Monday, failed to determine the cause behind the mishap and left many questions unanswered due to lack of evidence.

"It should be recognized that due to the significant lack of evidence available to the team, we are unable to determine with any certainties the reasons that the aircraft diverted from its filed flight plan route," Kok Soo Chon, head of the Malaysian International Civil Aviation Organization Annex 13 Safety Investigation Team, said.

Missing evidence includes the information recorded in the flight data recorder, the cockpit voice recorder, and other recording devices on the aircraft that could indicate why it flew to the southern Indian Ocean, Kok said.
.

"In conclusion, the team is unable to determine the real cause for the disappearance of MH370," he said.

The 1,000-plus-page report, while reviewing several aspects ranging from airworthiness and maintenance to cargo assignment and wreckage information, said the probe team could not determine why the plane was diverted.

According to the report, examinations into the pilot and first officers found no abnormality, and all background checks on passengers came back clean.

It said "the change in flight path likely resulted from manual inputs."

"The possibility of intervention by a third party cannot be excluded," Kok said.

Calling the disappearance of MH370 and the searches for it "unprecedented in commercial aviation history," the report said improvements must be undertaken to ensure that this type of event is identified as soon as possible.

  Multinational aircrafts involved in the search of MH370 in Southern Indian Ocean | Coastweek

PERTH Australia (Xinhua) -- In this photo released by Australian Defence Department, personnel and multinational aircrafts involved in the search of MH370 in Southern Indian Ocean pose for photos in RAAF Base Pearce, Australia, April 29, 2014. XINHUA PHOTO - AUSTRALIAN DEFENCE DEPARTMENT
.
Also, the international aviation community needs to provide assurance to the traveling public that the location of current-generation commercial aircraft is always known, it recommended.

Though Malaysia’s Transport Minister Anthony Loke previously described it as the final and full report, Kok said the report is not final and is only about safety investigation to provide safety recommendations.
.

 MAY 2018 

Malaysia halts search for MH370: But leaves future operations open

PUTRAJAYA Malaysia (Xinhua) -- Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad said on Wednesday that the time has come for Malaysia to stop the search for Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370, after a three-month search carried out by an America-based firm officially ended on Tuesday without making major progress.

"We have not found any evidence yet, so we have to come to a stage where we cannot keep searching for something we really cannot find," Mahathir said at a press conference held after the weekly cabinet meeting.

He added that the new government will consider resuming the search if somebody can provide any information, but at the moment it must stop.

"We regret it very much, and we understand the feelings of the relatives, but we cannot keep on searching for this MH370 forever," he said.

The search led by Ocean Infinity, which agreed to a "no cure, no fee" agreement, started in January and officially stopped on Tuesday.

The company, by deploying multiple autonomous underwater vehicles along with the search vessel Seabed Constructor, searched and collected high quality data from over 112,000 square kilometers of ocean floor, successfully overcoming both challenging conditions and terrain, according to a statement released on Tuesday.

"Part of our motivation for renewing the search was to try to provide some answers to those affected. It is therefore with a heavy heart that we end our current search without having achieved that aim," said Oliver Plunkett, Ocean Infinity’s CEO in the statement.

But it also left the possibility of restarting the search open.

"We sincerely hope that we will be able to again offer our services in the search for MH370 in future," Plunkett said.
.

FURTHER READING:

MH370, carrying 239 on board, went missing en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing on March 8, 2014

Malaysia says credible evidence needed to restart MH370 search | Coastweek

Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777-200ER (9M-MRO) taking off at Roissy-Charles de Gaulle Airport (LFPG) in France. PHOTO - LAURENT ERRERA FROM L’UNION, FRANCE.

             

 

Remember: you read it first at coastweek.com !


Diamond Trust Bank banner | Coastweek

 

TO ADVERTISE ON THIS WEB SITE:  www.coastweek.com
Please contact

MOMBASA - GULSHAN JIVRAJ, Mobile: 0722 775164 Tel: (+254) (41) 2230130 /
Wireless: 020 3549187 e-mail: info@coastweek.com

NAIROBI - ANJUM H. ASODIA, Mobile: 0733 775446 Tel: (+254) (020) 3744459
e-mail: anjum@asodia.co.ke

 
    © Coastweek Newspapers Limited               Tel: (+254) (41) 2230130  |  Wireless: 020 3549187  |  E-mail: info@coastweek.com