NAIROBI (Xinhua) --
Kenya’s U-23 football team launched their
campaign for the 2020 Olympic Games on a winning note as they
thumped Mauritius 5-0 in Nairobi on Wednesday.
The Kenyan team,
nicknamed Emerging Stars, will head to Mauritius for the return
leg on Sunday.
The winner on
aggregate of the two matches will face either Seychelles or
Sudan in the second round in March 2019.
Kenya’s five goals
were scored by Johnstone Omurwa, James Mazembe, Pistone Mutamba,
Sydney Lokale and captain Joseph Okumu respectively.
Adel Langue was the only one that came close to threaten Kenya’s
goal, but his effort was side netted.
Kenya head coach
Francis Kimanzi said that they would not take their foot off the
gas pedal despite the huge goal advantage.
“We are here for the
long run and we need to build on this win and see that we kill
of the game in Mauritius. Then we will look at the next match
and plan accordingly. The team has played really well and we
need to support them,” said Kimanzi.
The final tournament
will be held in Egypt from Nov. 8 to 22 next year.
The U-23 Africa
Nations Cup was initially scheduled to take place in Zambia, but
the southern African country withdrew from hosting in July 2017
before Egypt stepped in to fill the void.
African teams will compete at the 2020 Summer Olympics men’s
football tournament in Japan. Nigeria are the defending
Kenya hopeful of Africa Women
Cup of Nations participation
NAIROBI (Xinhua) --
Kenya national women’s football team, the
Harambee Starlets, will not depart for Ghana on Wednesday for
the 2018 CAF Africa Women Cup of Nations (AWCON) finals that
kick off on Saturday in Accra.
This is because the
country is still waiting for the outcome of an appeal they will
launch at the Court for Arbitration of Sport (CAS) against the
re-instatement of Equatorial Guinea to the biannual continental
The African football
governing body CAF expelled Equatorial Guinea from the
competition on Oct. 17 after Kenya successfully appealed against
the use of an ineligible player, Anette Jacky Messomo during
their final round of qualifiers.
appeal board reinstated the Equatoguineans to the competition on
Nov. 6 prompting the Football Kenya Federation (FKF) to serve
notice of a final appeal at the Lausanne-based CAS.
Speaking to Xinhua
on Wednesday, FKF communications director Barry Otieno said the
country had not given up efforts to take the team for what would
be a second successive showing at the AWCON following their
debut in Cameroon 2016.
“On Friday last week
we initiated the process of appeal. Our legal team advised us
due process requires we inform CAF we are not happy and that as
per regulations of FIFA and CAF statutes we will be moving to
CAS for an appeal,” said Otieno.
“We gave them 72
hours that lapsed on Monday and CAF has not gotten back to us.
Yesterday (Tuesday), we began the process of filing and getting
all the documentation ready and expect our legal person to file
today (Wednesday) from London,” Otieno stated. He said the
federation shall know the way forward by Friday, noting that the
team is still in camp.
champions Equatorial Guinea beat Kenya 3-2 on aggregate over two
legs of their third and final round of the 2018 AWCON qualifying
campaign in June but Kenya appealed against their progress to
the finals, citing six players in the team who were allegedly
ineligible to play for their opponents.
Initially, CAF ruled
there were sufficient grounds to disqualify Equatorial Guinea
from the competition.
then appealed to the board which overturned the earlier
decision, knocking Kenya out of the competition.
remain banned from the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup next March on
similar charges, meaning that even if they secure a top three
finish at the AWCON, they will not represent Africa at the