GENEVA (Xinhua) --
The World Health Organization (WHO) said Friday
that the latest Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the
Congo (DRC) remains active, with the cities of Beni and Butembo
becoming the new hotspot.
has been made to limit the spread of the disease to new areas
and the situation at Mabalako Health Zone in Mangina, North Kivu
province, is stabilizing, WHO said in a statement.
In the meantime,
response teams continue to enhance activities to mitigate
potential clusters in Beni and Butembo—two large, populous
cities in the province—and prevent spread to other areas.
for further spread of the disease still remain, the WHO warned.
Continued challenges include contacts lost to follow-up, delayed
recognition of Ebola in health centers, poor infection
prevention and control in health centers, and reluctance among
some cases to be treatment in Ebola treatment centers.
The priority thus
remains strengthening all components of the public health
response in all affected areas, as well as continuing to enhance
operational readiness and preparedness in the non-affected
provinces and neighboring countries.
The WHO said as of
Tuesday, it had deployed 209 experts in the DRC to support
response activities. Among them are emergency coordinators,
epidemiologists, laboratory experts, logisticians, clinical care
specialists, communicators, and community engagement
Over 5,000 Ebola
contacts had been registered, of which 1,983 remain under
people have so far consented and been vaccinated, including
4,008 health care or frontline workers, and 2,362 children. The
ring vaccination teams are currently active in three health
areas in North Kivu and one in neighboring Ituri province.
As the latest Ebola
outbreak is affecting north-eastern provinces of the DRC which
borders Uganda, Rwanda and South Sudan, the WHO remains that
national and regional spread remains high, and that it’s
important for neighboring provinces and countries to enhance
surveillance and preparedness activities.
As of Tuesday, a
total of 143 Ebola cases, including 112 confirmed and 31
probable cases, had be reported, which include 97 deaths.
Though an overall
decreasing trend in weekly case incidence continues, it has to
be interpreted with caution given the expected delays in case
reporting and the ongoing detection of sporadic cases.
No confirmed case
of Ebola in Uganda: ministry
KAMPALA Uganda (Xinhua) --
Uganda’s ministry of health on Sunday said there
is no confirmed case of Ebola in the country although a case was
registered on the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) border.
The ministry in a
statement said it has received information from the World Health
Organization that a case was registered at Kasenyi village on
the shores of Lake Albert, which is shared with Uganda.
“The ministry of
health would like to inform the general public that there is no
confirmed case of Ebola in Uganda,” the statement said.
The ministry warned
that there is a high risk of the disease spreading to Uganda
since there are population movements on the Lake to Uganda.
The statement said
the ministry is working with partners to support districts
neighboring DRC to heighten preparedness and readiness to handle
any Ebola case that may come into the country.
The ministry said
there is ongoing screening of people crossing from DRC for signs
and symptoms of Ebola.
The Ebola virus is
highly contagious and causes a range of symptoms including
fever, vomiting, diarrhea, generalized pain or malaise and in
many cases internal and external bleeding.
Mortality rates of
Ebola fever, according to WHO, are extremely high, with the
human case-fatality rate ranging from 50 percent to 89 percent,
depending on viral sub-type.