Zimbabwe (Xinhua) -- The
Zimbabwe government said Tuesday redesigning of water
and sewer pipes is the only long-term solution to stop
the recurrence of cholera outbreaks in the country.
A cholera outbreak that has killed 30 people and
infected more than 5,000 others has gripped Harare, the
second such major outbreak in the country since 2008
when 4,000 people died from the water borne disease.
The Harare outbreak started at the beginning of this
month and has since spread to other parts of the
The outbreak is linked to borehole water contaminated
with sewer from burst pipes.
The Harare city council has been failing to provide
potable water form some time, forcing residents to rely
on unsafe water from community boreholes and open wells.
Information minister Monica Mutsvangwa told
journalists that cabinet resolved at its Monday meeting
that sewer and water reticulation infrastructure should
be redesigned to avert outbreaks of diarrhoeal diseases
in the future.
"Cabinet resolved that a two-pronged approach be
taken to deal with the outbreak of the cholera epidemic,
namely the ongoing implementation of interventions to
address the current outbreak and the implementation of
long-term measures centered on the provision of adequate
clean water and upgrading of both water and sewer
reticulation systems," she said.
She said cabinet had also resolved that resources be
mobilized from external partners to modernize the water
and sewer reticulation systems as well as address the
challenge of illegal and unserviced human settlements in
Mutsvangwa said cabinet also established an
inter-ministerial committee to spearhead implementation
of short and long-term measures to address cholera
outbreaks in the country.
The government has since launched a 57 million U.S.
dollars appeal to contain the outbreak with some of the
financial resources earmarked towards revamping water
and sewer infrastructure in cholera hot-spots.
ministry says cholera outbreak has been contained
HARARE Zimbabwe (Xinhua) --
The health ministry of Zimbabwe said
Wednesday it has managed to contain the cholera outbreak
in the capital Harare that has so far killed 32 people
and infected 7,000 others.
Deputy health minister John Mangwiro told a joint
press conference that the number of recorded cases was
declining from about 500 per day at peak to about 100
The outbreak first broke out in Harare’s high density
suburbs of Glen View and Budiriro early this month but
has spread to other parts of the country.
The outbreak is linked to use of contaminated water
due to burst sewer pipes.
"We have managed to contain the outbreak for now due
to our interventions.
"We are still recording a few cases but the curve is
now going down which shows that our interventions are
working," Mangwiro said.
Government declared the outbreak a state of emergency
on Sept. 12 and has appealed for financial and
non-financial assistance to fight the epidemic.
Finance Minister Mthuli Ncube said government had so
far received 29 million dollars out of the 64 million
dollars that it requires to respond to the epidemic in
the immediate, medium and long-term.
Government had availed 15.7 million dollars out of
the 29 million dollars raised so far while development
partners and the private sector chipped in with the
remainder, Ncube said.
"Out of the 29 million dollars, 25.4 million is for
immediate use and the remainder will go towards medium
and long-term issues.
"We have a funding gap of 35 million dollars that
need to be raised," he said.
He thanked all those that have donated towards the
cholera fight through the crowd funding initiative
established by his ministry.
"We are very grateful for the donations and we hope
that more assistance will continue to come," he said.
Outbreaks of water-borne diseases continue to recur
in Zimbabwe’s urban cities due to ageing water and sewer
Government has noted that redesigning and
modernization of water and sewer infrastructure is the
only long-term solution to stop the recurrence of the
The country’s last major cholera outbreak occurred in
2008 when 4,000 people died from the disease.
approves US $64 million dollars budget to fight
HARARE Zimbabwe (Xinhua) --
Zimbabwean President Emmerson
Mnangagwa has approved a 64 million U.S. dollars budget
for immediate needs in the fight against a cholera
outbreak that has so far killed at least 30 people in
the capital Harare, a Cabinet minister has said.
Funds will also be used to fight typhoid which has
also hit the city and other parts of the country,
chairperson of the Cabinet committee on emergency
preparedness and disaster management July Moyo told
state run newspaper Herald.
It is anticipated that well-wishers will donate to
the fund, with donations such as fuel, protective
clothing, cean up tools, refuse receptacles, food and
water purification chemicals being channeled through the
Harare Town Clerk’s office.
He said cash donations should be made to the Ministry
of Finance and Economic Development, whose minister
Mthuli Ncube last week announced the establishment of a
crowd funding initiative to help fight the outbreak.
Moyo said government interventions followed
Mnangagwa’s declaration of the outbreak as a state of
disaster on Sept. 12.
"Pursuant to this development, our preparedness in
terms of geographical coverage is national while in
terms of response more focus will be on the cholera
hotspots," he said.
He said in the worst case scenario an estimated
100,000 people, including those in transit, could be
affected, but the most likely scenario was about 50,000.
The worst cholera outbreak to hit the country took
place from Aug. 2008 to June 2009 when 98,596 cases of
cholera were reported, resulting in 4,369 deaths.
Harare city suspends four officials
HARARE Zimbabwe (Xinhua) --
Zimbabwe’s capital Harare City Council
has suspended four officials from the Harare Water
Department on allegations of trying to benefit from
donations meant to assist the country in fighting the
current cholera outbreak which has so far claimed at
least 30 lives.
Council spokesperson Michael Chideme confirmed to
Xinhua in an interview Wednesday that the four employees
had been sent home following the allegations leveled
Econet Wireless Group founder and chairman Strive
Masiyiwa said on Monday that when his group set aside 10
million U.S. dollars to help fight the outbreak, some
people decided to benefit from the donation by at times
inflating prices of consumables.
"One of the saddest things that happened last week
when Econet announced that it had set aside 10 million
dollars to help with support to buy medicines and
materials, was the number of suppliers, and even
officials in some of the affected municipalities who
tried to defraud our company by offering things at
highly inflated prices!"
He said he had told Econet officials to prepare lists
of anyone who willfully tried to exploit the situation.
"After this crisis is over we will go after them on
"Naming and shaming them," he said on his blog.
over cholera outbreak in Zimbabwe
LUSAKA Zambia (Xinhua) --
The Zambian government on
Tuesday expressed concern over the outbreak of cholera
in neighboring Zimbabwe, saying the outbreak could spill
Cholera has broken out in Zimbabwe and has so far
claimed about 30 lives while thousands of cases have
Minister of Local Government and Housing Vincent
Mwale said the cholera outbreak in the neighboring
country was a source of concern because of the shared
He has since called for concerted efforts to keep the
surroundings clean. He further said a ministerial
committee on epidemic outbreaks will meet this week.
"It is about cleanliness and how we take care of our
environment. It is possible that we can have cholera.
Things that need to be done are very clear to us," he
The Zambian minister however said there is currently
no cholera outbreak in the country.
Zimbabwe: 30 cholera death toll and 5,463 new cases