NAIROBI, (Xinhua) --
Kenya has pulled out of hosting this year’s
Council of East and Central Africa Football Associations (CECAFA)
Senior Challenge Cup dut to financial problem.
throws the regional body in confusion just three months to
the annual tournament.
Federation (FKF) President Nick Mwendwa confirmed to
Xinhua on Tuesday that the country has no intention of
staging the regional competition.
not be able to host the CECAFA Senior Challenge Cup due to
financial constraints,” FKF President Mwendwa said in
Kenya had been
handed the rights to host the regional football tournament
last year when Harambee Stars were crowned champions
edging out Zanzibar on penalty shots.
expected they will host the event, which attracts 11
regional teams this year, but Mwendwa said there is no
budgetary allocation for the competition.
Kenya, the regional CECAFA Senior Challenge Cup, the
oldest football competition in Africa, has teams drawn
from island state of Zanzibar, Tanzania, Uganda, Rwanda,
Burundi, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Djibouti, Sudan and South
handed hosting rights for the second straight year even
though Zanzibar had expressed interest to organize the
Secretary General Nicholas Musonye said in Nairobi that he
was disappointed by the decision taken by FKF.
this is sabotage. They are keen to finish us, but we will
make more announcement later,” said Musonye.