(Xinhua) -- Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta on
Wednesday vowed to step up fight against terrorism, hours after
five soldiers were killed and 10 others injured in an explosive
attack in the coastal Lamu region.
Kenyatta, who sent his condolences to
the bereaved and the injured, said the war against
terrorism must be won jointly.
“Let me take this opportunity to state
categorically, that we will not relent in protecting the
Kenyan people and our borders. My government will work
tirelessly in ensuring that the war against terrorism is
won,” he said in a statement issued in Nairobi.
Kenya Defence Force (KDF) spokesman
Paul Njuguna had earlier said the incident took place
after the soldiers who were on a humanitarian civil
assignment to fetch and distribute water to the local
residents in the area hit an improvised explosive device
(IED) along the Kiunga and Sankuri road.
The IED is suspected to have been
planted by Somali al-Shabab militants who continue to
wreak havoc in the region.
The latest IED attack comes barely a
month after six soldiers died in a similar manner after
their vehicle ran over an IED at a local bridge area in
Lamu on Aug. 8.
The KDF are currently in year four of
a security operation dubbed Linda Boni which was
launched by the national government in a bid to flush
out al-Shabab militants said to be hiding inside the
dense Boni forest and neighboring areas in Lamu.