CAPE TOWN South
Africa (Xinhua) -- The South African
government on Thursday issued a stern warning to a mining
company which planned to retrench thousands of mineworkers.
The announcement by Implats Platinum that it will retrench
13,000 workers is a clear example of a company that "is
careless, and mindlessly committed to implementing its
pre-determined outcome; no matter how unworkable that might be,"
Minister of Mineral Resources Gwede Mantashe said.
"Their reckless actions add injury to insult," said Mantashe.
Implats Platinum, one of the world’s foremost producers of
platinum and associated platinum group metals (PGMs), announced
earlier in the day that it will cut 13,000 jobs in a
restructuring process in order to generate enough cash by 2021
from its Rustenburg operations in North West Province.
"We have consistently maintained that only an industry that
does not regard workers as a valuable asset behaves in this
manner," Mantashe said.
This is worst disconcerting considering the high unemployment
rate in the country, the minister said.
The latest survey by Statistics South Africa shows that the
unemployment rate in the country surged to 27.2 percent in the
second quarter of 2018.
Mantashe said his ministry urges Implats to reconsider its
"Now is the time to work collectively and make our country
prosper, and desist from behavior that is careless and without
foresight," he said.
According to Mantashe, the Department of Mineral Resources
was still at the beginning of an engagement with Implats
"wherein we encouraged them to consider different options of
saving jobs and keeping their operations working."
Tenth BRICS summit a
success: South African government official
PRETORIA South Africa (Xinhua) --
The just ended 10th BRICS summit was a great
success with many agreements and memorandum of understanding (MoU)
being signed, said a South African government official.
Minister of International Relations and Cooperation Lindiwe
Sisulu said this while briefing the media in Pretoria on
Thursday. South Africa hosted the 10th BRICS summit on July
25-27 in Johannesburg.
"We meet soon after the conclusion of the very successful and
historic 10th BRICS Summit ...
"Through the summit, we were able to showcase the treasure of
this country, which is its people, who are both welcoming and
professional in their dealings with our friends from other
countries," said Sisulu.
She mentioned that South African President Cyril Ramaphosa
hosted his BRICS counterparts, BRICS Plus and African leaders.
BRICS leaders addressed issues affecting the bloc and the
"It was a very important summit and took place against the
onslaught against multilateralism and some countries withdrawing
from long standing commitments.
The Summit was an occasion for the BRICS leaders to be at the
center of shaping a new global order and centralizing a new
world order with the United Nations at the apex," said the
She stated that some memorandums of understanding were signed
by all five BRICS countries.
These include MoU on environment and BRICS regional aviation
They also signed agreement for establishment of the regional
office of the New Development Bank (NDB) for the Americas in Sao
"BRICS leaders supported the establishment of the BRICS
networks of science parks, technology business incubators and
small and medium-sized enterprises," Sisulu said.
The BRICS leaders also endorsed the establishment of the
BRICS tourism working group to increase economic development and
people-to-people relations to further grow intra-BRICS tourism.
They also agreed to establish the BRICS working group on the
4th industrial revolution.
"This aims at deepening BRICS co-operation in digitalization,
industrialization, innovation, inclusiveness, and investment, to
maximize the opportunities and address the challenges arising
from the 4th Industrial Revolution."
decline in South Africa
JOHANNESBURG South Africa (Xinhua)
-- South African Minister of Police
Bheki Cele on Thursday said there is a 63 percent decline
cash-in-transit (CIT) robberies between April and June 2018
following numerous arrests.
Cele told a media briefing in Johannesburg that police have
launched different operations in various parts of the country to
combat cash-in-transit and others crimes.
"We have made inroads in breaking the backs of syndicates
involved in cash-in-transit robberies.
"While I am satisfied with the progress made, the journey is
"From April 15 until June 1 cash-in-transit robberies have
declined by 63 percent," said Cele.
Cele stated that they have arrested 42 suspects in connection
with cash-in-transit robberies.
He also mentioned that they also arrested one of the most
wanted cash-in-transit kingpins, Wellington "Bibi" Cenenda
responsible for 20 cash-in-transit heists.
The minister also said since June 2018 they have recovered 59
firearms, 47 explosives, 152 rounds of ammunition and millions
South Africans protest
against growing gender-based violence
CAPE TOWN South Africa (Xinhua) --
Thousands of South Africans went to the streets
across the country on Wednesday in protest against growing
Protests took place in all major cities, including Cape Town,
Johannesburg, Pretoria and Durban.
In Cape Town, hundreds of protesters gathered outside
Parliament to hand over a memorandum.
A moment of silence was observed in honor of children and
women killed in gender-based violence, followed by the reading
of the memorandum of demands.
"Today, ordinary women came together against oppression of
women, femicide and economic inequality," said one of the
organizers, Goapalelwe Phalaetsile.
The South African government has declared August as Women’s
Month and August 1 as the day of mourning for victims of
The Women’s Month is celebrated under the theme: "100
Years of Women’s Struggles: Together Fighting Gender-Based
The campaign seeks to acknowledge and highlight violent
masculinity, harmful traditions and practices that help to
normalize gender-based violence and impunity of perpetrators.
Minister of Women in the Presidency, Bathabile Dlamini urged
both men and women to wear black clothes and form a human chain
on the streets in front of their offices, homes or social places
to remember women and children who are victims of violence.
"Gender-based violence affects us all and it continues to be
the responsibility of all people to bring an end to this gross
human rights violation," said Dlamini.
The African National Congress Youth League (ANCYL) pledged
its unwavering support and solidarity with the campaign,
organized by various organizations of civil society and
progressive women’s formations.
"We live in a country that is ravaged by atrocious violence
against women and children, especially targeted against female
black African working-class women and children, most often by
people living within our apartheid-created townships or squalid
squatter camps," ANCYL national spokesperson Mlondi Mkhize said.
The ANCYL was emboldened by unity of purpose demonstrated by
all social forces in these nationwide protests to rid the
country of being a "den or heaven" of gender-based violence,
Gender-based violence has long been a headache for South
Africa, where sexual offences against women increased from
31,665 in 2015/16 to 70,813 in 2016/17, an increase of 53
percent, according to official statistics.
Everyday three women die at the hands of their intimate
partners in South Africa, while an average of 109.1 rapes are
recorded each day during the 2016/17 period.
South African government
not to appeal court
ruling over former Zimbabwean first lady: minister
CAPE TOWN South Africa (Xinhua) --
The South African government will not appeal a
court ruling which sets aside the decision to grant diplomatic
immunity to former Zimbabwean first lady over an assault case, a
cabinet minister said on Thursday.
"We have studied the judgment and came to the conclusion that
we will not appeal," Minister of International Relations and
Cooperation Lindiwe Sisulu said, without giving further details.
She was speaking on the occasion of her monthly media
briefing in Pretoria on diplomatic developments.
The Johannesburg High Court ruled last week that the decision
by former International Relations and Cooperation Minister Maite
Nkoana-Mashabane to grant Grace Mugabe, wife of former
Zimbabwean president Robert Mugabe, diplomatic immunity was
inconsistency with the Constitution and should be set aside.
Mashabane made the decision on Aug. 19, 2017 after Grace
allegedly assaulted model Gabriella Engels and two other women
Engels, who reportedly sustained severe facial injuries as a
result of the alleged assault, laid a criminal charge of assault
against Grace with intent to cause serious bodily harm.
It is believed that Grace assaulted the women after she had
found them in the company of her young sons who were university
Grace left South Africa for Zimbabwe after she was granted
The opposition Democratic Alliance (DA) sued the government
for granting diplomatic immunity to Grace.
Mashabane explained in court that Grace automatically
qualified for immunity from prosecution by virtue of her status
as the wife of a head of state.
Mashabane also argued that not awarding Grace diplomatic
immunity might have serious implications for relations between
South Africa and Zimbabwe.
Power cuts hit as industrial action
continues across South Africa