Coastweek website



Tanzania issue Work permits for foreign investors within 14 days | Coastweek

DAR ES SALAAM Tanzania (Xinhua) -- Tanzania’s state-of-the-art 135-million-US-dollar Nyerere Bridge connecting Kigamboni and Kurasini in the east African nation’s commercial capital Dar es Salaam. The project undertaken by China Railway Construction Engineering Group (CRCEG) in a joint venture with China Railway Major Bridge Group (CRMBG) was officially inaugurated by President John Magufuli in April 2016. Plans to build the bridge started in 1993 but the construction could have not have been implemented due to lack of funding. The 32-metre wide bridge has six lanes, three in each direction, and two pedestrian and cyclist lanes with a width of 2.5 metres, one on each side. The project was jointly funded by the Tanzanian government and the Tanzania’s National Social Security Fund. The NSSF funded 60 per cent of the project and the government contributed the remaining 40 per cent. XINHUA PHOTO

Tanzania issue Work permits for foreign investors within 14 days

DAR ES SALAAM Tanzania (Xinhua) -- Tanzanian authorities said Wednesday that work permits for foreign investors seeking to set up businesses in the East African country will now be processed within two weeks.

"This follows the amendment of some labor regulations to reduce bureaucracy in issuing the permits," said Deputy Minister of State in the Prime Minister’s Office responsible for Labour, Employment, Youth and the Disabled, Anthony Mavunde.

"If an applicant has all the necessary documents, the permit will be ready within 14 days," Mavunde told tourism stakeholders in Tanzania’s northern tourist city of Arusha.

The official said previously there was no specific time within which work permits were supposed to be processed.

The government is currently working to implement the recently approved blueprint for the improvement of Tanzania’s business climate.

The blueprint will see the government initiate amendment of various laws, including those governing immigration and labor with a view to simplify the process of issuing the necessary permits to foreign investors and workers.

"Under the new arrangement, the process of issuing work permits and temporary residence permits to non-citizens will be simplified," he said.

Chairman of the Tanzania Association of Tour Operators (TATO), Willy Chambulo, said TATO members and other investors in the tourism sector were finding it difficult to renew work permits for their employees, thus affecting service delivery.

He added that tour operators were still concerned over numerous checkpoints mounted by traffic police along routes leading to national parks.

Chambulo said unnecessary road checks inconvenienced tourists and adversely affected the flow of traffic.


Tanzanians discuss possible construction of industrial parks

DAR ES SALAAM Tanzania (Xinhua) -- The Tanzania Investment Centre (TIC) on Wednesday held talks with representatives of social security funds over strategic plans for construction of industrial parks as the government looks forward to speeding up attraction of potential investors.

Geoffrey Mwambe, TIC Executive Director, said both sides discussed bottlenecks in investments and how they could fast track the establishment of the industrial parks in major cities around the East African country.

Availability of land for investments topped the discussions as members felt access to adequate land was a key challenge that was slowing investments, he said.

Mwambe said TIC was determined to create a conducive environment to foster investments in the country.

He said both foreign and domestic investors were keen on establishing businesses in industrial parks but they failed to do so due to critical shortage of requisite incentives such as sufficient land and other basic infrastructure.

A representative of the Public Service Pensions Fund, Hamidu Ngororo, said he was optimistic that the plan would transform the industrial sector if the private sector was well represented.

Xavier Lukuvi, the Investment and Planning Manager of the National Social Security Fund, said construction of roads will hasten the opening up of the parks.

Benedict Mahona, Research and Planning Manager of the Parastatal Pensions Fund, advised that a pilot study on the real cost of establishing the industrial parks be carried before rolling out the plan for successful results.


Remember: you read it first at coastweek.com !


TO ADVERTISE ON THIS WEB SITE:  www.coastweek.com
Please contact

MOMBASA - GULSHAN JIVRAJ, Mobile: 0722 775164 Tel: (+254) (41) 2230130 /
Wireless: 020 3549187 e-mail: info@coastweek.com

NAIROBI - ANJUM H. ASODIA, Mobile: 0733 775446 Tel: (+254) (020) 3744459
e-mail: anjum@asodia.co.ke

    © Coastweek Newspapers Limited               Tel: (+254) (41) 2230130  |  Wireless: 020 3549187  |  E-mail: info@coastweek.com