THE MOST FROM THE COAST !

..


 Coastweek website


XINHUA NEWS SERVICE REPORTS FROM THE AFRICAN CONTINENT

 

Danish FA reports online threats against striker Jorgensen

MOSCOW Russia (Xinhua) -- The Danish Football Association says it has reported online death threats made against striker Nicolai Jorgensen to the police, following Denmark’s World Cup exit on penalties against Croatia on Sunday night.

27-year-old Jorgensen, who has scored eight goals in 34 appearances for his country, saw his penalty saved by Croatia goalkeeper Danijel Subasic, allowing Ivan Rakitic to book a quarterfinal tie with Russia by netting the decisive spot kick.

Although Subasic had also saved two penalties before blocking Jorgensen’s effort, the striker was the main target of the online abuse and received threats against his life.

This prompted the Danish FA to publish a tweet saying “we are reporting the case to the police to end this madness.”

“Stop: Our society must never accept death threats, be they against World Cup stars, politicians or others. It is completely unacceptable and indecent,” the DBU’s statement continued.

It is not the first time in this World Cup that a nation’s football governing body has reacted to abuse directed at one of its players. Earlier in the competition, the Swedish FA reported that winger Jimmy Durmaz had received racist comments after giving away a free kick from which Germany’s Toni Kroos scored the winning goal against Sweden.

The Swedish players and the coaching staff then stood behind Durmaz as he read a statement saying the abuse had “gone far beyond the boundaries”.

“When you threaten my family, my children - who does such a thing? It is completely unacceptable,” Durmaz had said.

.

UPDATE:

Poland coach Nawalka to step down after disappointing World Cup

MOSCOW Russia (Xinhua) -- Poland coach Adam Nawalka has become the second coach to lose his job after a disappointing World Cup, after the Polish FA confirmed he would be leaving his post at the end of the month.

Poland salvaged some pride from an otherwise sub-par tournament with a 1-0 win over Japan in Volgograd, but by the time they played that game they had already been eliminated after a 2-1 defeat to Senegal and a 3-0 loss against Colombia.

Nawalka, who had been his country’s head coach since 2013, had originally sounded in positive mood following the Japan game, saying that the team would learn lessons from the 2018 World Cup, but though that may be the case, he will not remain in charge.

“We have decided that Adam Nawalka will remain Poland’s team coach until July 30 and after that day we will be looking for a new coach,” said Polish FA chief Zbigniew Boniek, in a news conference with Nawalka. “We will try to build a national team in a new way.”

Hector Cuper was the first coach to suffer the consequences of a poor World Cup when the Egyptian FA confirmed they would not be renewing his contract, after the Pharaohs suffered defeats against Uruguay, Russia and Saudi Arabia in their three Group A games.

             

 

Remember: you read it first at coastweek.com !


Safi Ethanol Cooker

 

TO ADVERTISE ON THIS WEB SITE:  www.coastweek.com
Please contact

MOMBASA - GULSHAN JIVRAJ, Mobile: 0722 775164 Tel: (+254) (41) 2230130 /
Wireless: 020 3549187 e-mail: info@coastweek.com

NAIROBI - ANJUM H. ASODIA, Mobile: 0733 775446 Tel: (+254) (020) 3744459
e-mail: anjum@asodia.co.ke

 
    © Coastweek Newspapers Limited               Tel: (+254) (41) 2230130  |  Wireless: 020 3549187  |  E-mail: info@coastweek.com