KAMPALA Uganda (Xinhua) --
A senior aide to Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni said Thursday
the sacking of a senior official in charge of refugee affairs is
“the beginning of a stronger tsunami that will sweep away all
Secretary Don Wanyama told Xinhua that Museveni is committed to
ensuring that the refugees department is streamlined in
accordance with both local and international laws.
“This is just the
beginning,” Wanyama said. “Whoever mistreated refugees by
mishandling their resources will be dealt with accordingly.”
On Wednesday, Apollo
Kazungu, the commissioner for refugees, was replaced by Gerald
Menhya, an assistant commissioner in charge of disaster
preparedness, following allegations that Kazungu and others
inflated the number of refugees in Angola and stole funding and
fuel intended for refugees.
show that Uganda now hosts about 1.3 million refugees mainly
from South Sudan, Rwanda, Burundi, and the Democratic Republic
of Congo (DRC).
However, there are
reports that the number of refugees was inflated, prompting a
re-registration of refugees.
“We decided, working
with our partners, to commence robust biometric re-enrollment
and verification of refugees in the country... to plug any
possible holes in the integrity of the register of the refugees
and restore confidence in the refugee operations,” Uganda’s
minister for relief, disaster preparedness and refugees, Hilary
Onek, said earlier in February.
An estimated 3,450
refugees continue to pour in daily from the DRC, Onek said at