(Xinhua) -- The government of Uganda
has vowed to punish all those found to be involved in the
alleged misuse of refugees’ funds.
Minister of Relief,
Disaster Preparedness and Refugees Hilary Onek said at a press
briefing in Kampala Thursday, the government was concerned as
such allegations were coming up.
"I would like to inform you that allegations of abuse of
funds and other resources meant for refugees and host
communities are taken very seriously by government," Onek said.
"We have initiated investigations into the different elements
of the whistleblower allegations of misuse of food and cash
interventions meant for refugees, bribery and trafficking of
girls," the minister added, insisting that the government would
"leave no stone unturned" in as far as investigations are
The minister said whoever will be found to be have been
involved will be "firmly dealt with in accordance with the law".
He revealed that four government workers from the refugees
department were already under disciplinary action.
The minister’s press briefing came on the backdrop of media
reports that funds collected during the 2017 Refugees Solidarity
Summit held in Kampala last year were misused.
Uganda is currently host to about 1.3 million refugees from
mainly South Sudan, Rwanda, Burundi, and the Democratic Republic
However, there are reports that the number of refugees could
be inflated and that is why Onek announced that fresh
registration would be carried out.
"We decided, working with our partners, to commence robust
biometric re-enrollment and verification of refugees in the
country ... to plug any possible holes in the integrity of the
register of the refugees and restore confidence in the refugee
operations," Onek said.