Coastweek website



Rwandan troops depart for South Sudan for peace keeping mission 

KIGALI Rwanda (Xinhua) -- At least 270 troops of the Rwanda Defence Force (RDF) Saturday departed for a rotational peacekeeping mission in Juba, South Sudan.

The contingent is part of a battalion of 920 troops of the mechanized infantry to serve under the United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS), said Innocent Munyengango, a spokesperson of the ministry of defence, at an event to see off the troops.

The troops, expected to serve a one year mission, will serve in the regional protection force, with a main mandate to protect Juba residents and their property, Munyengango told reporters at Kigali International Airport in the capital city of Kigali.

He urged the troops to maintain discipline in order to meet their mission objective.

Rwanda has over 2,300 UN peacekeeping troops in South Sudan and maintains more than 6,000 UN peacekeeping troops in various countries including Sudan and Central African Republic, said RDF last August.



Fifteen killed, eight wounded in renewed inter-clan fighting in South Sudan

JUBA South Sudan (Xinhua) -- At least 15 people have been killed and eight others wounded following renewed communal fighting in South Sudan’s Jonglei State on Thursday over a renaming of contested village, a government official confirmed on Friday.

The renewed clashes erupted midweek in Kolang Payam of former Bor County, following last year’s disagreement that left 20 people dead, Jonglei State Information of Minister Jacob Akech Deng told Xinhua.

“The inter-clan clashes happened on Wednesday and drag up to Thursday, leaving 15 dead and wounding eight others on both sides,” Akech said.

The clashes erupted again over ownership of grazing land and the naming of a village.

Deng said one group attacked the other clan in retaliation after the killing in December last year over the naming of a village.

He said the local authorities have intervened by deploying heavy security force along a previous created buffer zone to monitor the violators and help restore calm in the area.

Deng added that the regional government has issued stern warnings to the local chiefs to apprehend perpetrators of the latest round of fighting.

“I and the deputy governor went to the ground this morning to talk to the chiefs and villagers, and warned them against staging revenge killings and to ask them to allow the authorities to handle the matter without loss of lives,” he said.

The Jonglei region has suffered decades of communal and tribal violence, mainly caused by rivalry over livestock and grazing land.

At least 22 people were killed and 18 others wounded in December last year when members of the Nyara clan and other clans of Abii community fought over ownership of land in the same area.


South Sudan peace talks continue on pre-transitional period, other issues

ADDIA ABABA Ethiopia (Xinhua) -- The second phase of the Revitalization Forum on South Sudan continued on Friday as South Sudan factions started talks on the Pre-Transitional Period and National Constitutional Amendment Committee (NCAC).

Participants, on the fifth day of the peace talks, started discussions on points stated on Article 13 of the Agreement of the Resolution of the Conflict on South Sudan (ARCSS), which was signed on August 2015, regarding the NCAC.

According to a statement issued by the Ethiopian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the peace process is “progressing well,” and parties involved have started signing the declaration of principles.

South Sudanese parties have on Thursday “made a step forward on issues ranging from the Transitional National Legislative Assembly and the Council of States, the Judiciary to the Transitional Institutions and Mechanisms stipulated under Chapter I of Article 11, 12 and 14 of the Agreement,” the statement said.

They have also reached consensus on Mandates of the Transitional Government of National Unity (TGoNU) on the third day of the second phase of the Revitalization Forum.

The forum, led by the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD), began on Monday with threats of punitive measures against warring sides in the background.

South Sudan descended into violence after a political dispute between President Salva Kiir and his former deputy-turned rebel chief Riek Machar led to split in the army, leaving soldiers to fight alongside ethnic lines.

The 2015 Agreement of the Resolution of the Conflict on South Sudan, aimed at ending the conflict, was weakened after the outbreak of renewed fighting in July 2016 forced rebel leader Machar to flee South Sudan.



Remember: you read it first at !

Sarova Whitesands Hotel banner | Coastweek


Please contact

MOMBASA - GULSHAN JIVRAJ, Mobile: 0722 775164 Tel: (+254) (41) 2230130 /
Wireless: 020 3549187 e-mail:

NAIROBI - ANJUM H. ASODIA, Mobile: 0733 775446 Tel: (+254) (020) 3744459

    © Coastweek Newspapers Limited               Tel: (+254) (41) 2230130  |  Wireless: 020 3549187  |  E-mail: