BUJUMBURA Burundi (Xinhua) --
Over 3,000 asylum seekers from
the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DR Congo) have
arrived in Burundi to avoid fighting in eastern DR
Congo, local authorities told Xinhua by phone on
governors of Makamba and Rumonge provinces in
southwestern Burundi, those asylum seekers arrived via
Lake Tanganyika by boats.
yesterday (Wednesday), we are receiving an influx of
refugees from eastern DR Congo. By now, we have received
over 2,000 refugees. And more and more are coming,” said
Juvenal Bigirimana, governor of Rumonge province.
said those asylum seekers are mainly Congolese nationals
and Burundian nationals, who fled fighting between
Mai-Mai rebels and the Congolese army in DR Congo’s
South Kivu province.
also said the UN High Commissioner for Refugees, the
National Office in charge of the Protection of Refugees
and Stateless Persons (ONPRA) and the Rumonge
administration are seeking ways to relocate those asylum
seekers in refugee camps.
Rumonge administration) are trying our best to get food
items for them as no charitable organization has so far
assisted them,” Bigirimana said.
Governor Gad Niyukuri said that over 1,000 asylum
seekers from DR Congo have arrived in the Nyanza-Lac
district since Wednesday.
refugees say they left so many others behind, and those
are also fleeing the fighting. We have put them in one
place,” said Niyukuri.
also said the provincial government fears that the
refugees might have brought cholera here as one of them
has already shown cholera symptoms.
set four refugee camps to host DR Congo nationals.
the UN News Service, the inter-ethnic violence and
clashes between the regular army, militia and armed
groups have left some 1.3 million people displaced in
eastern DR Congo’s provinces of Tanganyika and South
UN chief voices concern
over violence against demonstrators in DRC
UNITED NATIONS New York (Xinhua)
-- UN Secretary-General
Antonio Guterres was disturbed by reports of violence
against demonstrators in the Democratic Republic of
Congo (DRC), his spokesman said Monday.
secretary-general urges the Congolese security forces to
exercise restraint and to uphold the Congolese people’s
right to freedom of speech and peaceful assembly,”
Stephane Dujarric said in a statement.
crackdown on protests on Sunday against President Joseph
Kabila led to six deaths and 63 injuries, the statement
The UN chief
called on the Congolese authorities to conduct credible
investigations into those incidents and to hold those
responsible accountable, it added.
called on Congolese political actors to work toward the
full implementation of the Dec. 31, 2016 political
agreement, which remains the only viable path to the
holding of elections, the peaceful transfer of power and
the consolidation of stability in the DRC, it said.
political agreement allows President Kabila, who has
been in power since 2001, to stay on after his term of
office expired, on the condition that elections would be
held within 2017. But elections were delayed on the
grounds of logistic difficulties. On Nov. 5, 2017, the
country’s electoral commission published an electoral
calendar for the combined presidential, legislative and
provincial elections for Dec. 23, 2018.