KINSHASA (Xinhua) --
At least five people were killed and several
others wounded on Sunday in Kinshasa during an anti-Kabila
demonstration convened by the Catholic Church across the
Democratic Republic of the Congo (DR Congo), according to the UN
mission in the west African country.
At least 69 people
were arrested across the country, according to the UN
Stabilization Mission in DR Congo (MONUSCO).
In a church in
Kinshasa, an 18-year-old girl who was one of the faithful of the
Catholic Church was shot dead during this demonstration.
The Red Cross
sources interviewed by Xinhua in Kinshasa reported eight
seriously wounded people, six of whom were shot.
The DR Congo is
going through an unprecedented political crisis since the expiry
of the term of its current president Joseph Kabila.
This is the second
demonstration in less than two months convened by the leaders of
the Catholic Church of the DR Congo to demand the application of
the political agreement signed last year under the auspices of
At least six people
were killed in the demonstration in late December, which was
also convened by members of the same Catholic church.
Independent Electoral Commission issued at the beginning of the
year an electoral calendar that sets the presidential elections
in December 2018. But this schedule has already been rejected by
opponents of the Kabila regime who also demand a short
transition without its presence at the head of the country.
Zambia relocates DRC refugees from
overcrowded transit center
LUSAKA Zambia (Xinhua) --
Zambia has the started relocation of the
Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) refugees kept at a
temporary transit center, the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR) said
government, supported by the UNHCR, has started moving the
refugees from the congested Kenani Transit Center to a newly
opened permanent site, said UNHCR spokesperson Kelvin Shimoh.
The new site,
Mantapala Refugee Settlement, is located 40 kilometers from the
transit center in the same district of Nchelenge in Luapula
The first convoy of
buses to the new settlement carrying 150 refugees left on
Saturday, he said in a statement.
convoys will follow in the coming days, depending on weather
conditions and ongoing preparations on the ground in Mantapala
in terms of health facilities, shelter, water supply and other
services,” he said.
The transit center
was opened in August last year following an influx of Congolese
refugees fleeing conflict in Haute Katanga’s Poweto area and
Moba in Tanganyika Province.
But the UNHCR
spokesperson said the transit center has reached its maximum,
currently hosting over 14,000 refugees, with an average of 100
new arrivals on a daily basis.
The new settlement
has the capacity to host up to 20,000 refugees, he said.
Shimoh further said
there was an urgent need to fund the provision of necessary
services at the refugee camp, whose estimated budget stands at
about 32 million U.S. dollars.