(Xinhua) -- Kenya’s elite security forces have
intensified a manhunt for Al-Shabaab militants who
attacked two police camps in northeastern parts of the
country on Saturday.
North-eastern regional commissioner Mohamud Saleh
said a contingent of security officers drawn from Kenya
Defence Forces (KDF), rural border patrol unit and the
regal police were in hot pursuit of the militants.
"They (militants) can run but they cannot hide. We
will smoke them out of their hideout," Saleh told
He assured local residents that security agencies
were "in control of the situation" and urged them to
provide relevant information that will help nab the
The militant who according to locals were numbering
100 razed two police stations before escaping with a
police Land Cruiser.
They also vandalized a Safaricom
mast hence cutting of communication in the area.
The Al-Shabaab fighters had earlier been spotted in
Boni forest, Taqsiley and Walkon areas in Ijara
sub-county, Garissa county in northeastern Kenya.
They were accused of attempting to recruit local
youth through radicalization.
Last week a man who was suspected by local resident
to have fled the militia group had been arrested by the
area chief in Kotile and handed over to anti-terror
military officers based in Gamba in Tana delta.
Two youth from Ijara had also been taken away by the
militants who accused them of spying on them.
The Al-Shabaab fighters are suspected to have fled
Somalia after heavy onslaught by the Somali national
army and African Union forces.
Two die in Mogadishu bomb attack
MOGADISHU Somalia (Xinhua) --
Two people, including a
Somali soldier, were killed on Sunday in a bomb
explosion targeting an African Union (AU) military
convoy in the capital of Mogadishu.
The explosion, which is reported to have been planted
on the roadside near the defense headquarters in
Mogadishu’s industrial area, exploded shortly after the
AU troops had passed, military sources told Xinhua.
A senior military commander with the Somali National
Army, Mohamed Ali, confirmed the incident to Xinhua, but
said details were still scanty.
"Yes, there was an attack on African Union troops
this morning near the ministry of defense," said Ali.
"We are still trying to get more information about it."
The militant group Al-Shabaab claimed responsibility
for the attack, adding that five AU troops were killed.
However, the AU mission in Somalia is yet to issue an
official statement on the matter.