JUBA South Sudan (Xinhua) --
South Sudan children are bearing the brunt
of a crisis that entered its fourth year, the UN children’s
agency said in a report released on Friday.
UNICEF said the
children have been victims of malnutrition, disease, forced
recruitment, violence and the loss of schooling, and are growing
up in a world of violence and fear and hunger, robbing them of
UNICEF’s Regional Director in Eastern and Southern Africa, said
no child should ever experience such horrors and deprivations.
“Yet children in
South Sudan are facing them on a daily basis. The children of
South Sudan urgently require a peaceful and protective
environment,” Pakkala said.
In releasing the
Childhood under Attack report, UNICEF warned that new funding is
essential in order to provide critical assistance to children
The UN children’s
agency said it requires 183 million U.S. dollars in new funding
in 2018 in order to deliver life-saving supplies and services to
stave off hunger and disease. Currently UNICEF has a funding gap
of 77 percent.
The report says
years of insecurity and upheaval have had a ‘staggering impact
on children’, threatening an entire generation.
“The fighting forces
must immediately end all grave violations against children. This
includes releasing all children from their ranks, as they have
pledged to do,” says the report.
According to UNICEF,
getting assistance to those most in need continues to be a
challenge in many insecure areas of the country.
Mahimbo Mdoe, UNICEF
Representative in South Sudan, said for children to have a fair
chance in life, they need proper nutrition and care.
protection from fighting and from diseases. They need a safe
environment so they can learn and play. If children are not
given a fair chance in life, what future will the country itself
have when those children grow up?” asked Mdoe.
The UN agency called
on government forces and armed groups, as well as the
international community, to do everything they can to end this
conflict so South Sudan’s children, and the country itself, will
have a future to look forward to.
“All parties to the
conflict must allow unrestricted humanitarian access to all
areas of the country and immediately end attacks on humanitarian
workers and supplies,” UNICEF said.
organizations in South Sudan are looking for the full
implementation of a recent presidential order calling for
unrestricted access to those in urgent need of aid.
The UN agency has
been delivering lifesaving assistance to children across the
country since the crisis started in December 2013, including
treatment of more than 600,000 with severe acute malnutrition,
vaccination against measles for more than 3.3 million children,
provision of primary health care services to more than 3.6
million children, and supporting the access to safe water supply
for 1.8 million people.
“This has been done
despite the huge challenges faced in a country that ranks among
the world’s most dangerous for aid workers,” UNICEF said.
Since the conflict
started in 2013, 95 aid workers have been killed, including 25
killed so far this year.
IGAD asked to show resolute
determination in driving South Sudan peace process
ADDIS ABABA Ethiopia (Xinhua) --
The Chairman of the Joint
Monitoring and Evaluation Commission (JMEC) for South Sudan ,
Festus Mogae, has appealed to leaders of the Intergovernmental
Authority on Development (IGAD) to remain united under one voice
and to encourage the South Sudanese leadership to seize the
opportunity to restore the Peace Agreement to center stage.
The Chairman made
the remarks on Sunday during the 59th extra-ordinary
session of the IGAD Council of Ministers in Ethiopia’s capital
Addis Ababa, according to a statement released in connection
with the meeting.
“I appeal to IGAD to
be resolute, without fear or favor, in their determination to
ensure the success of the revitalization forum. This is a huge
opportunity that cannot be wasted or squandered,” said Mogae.
The chairman has
underlined that the region must approach the revitalization with
strength of purpose.
“Collectively, it is
critical that the IGAD Heads of State and Governments prevail
over the South Sudanese leadership to rethink the current
trajectory of the country and take the necessary steps to
restore peace and inclusive governance,” he said.
The Chairman has
called on all the South Sudanese participants at the High Level
Revitalization Forum to remain focused on the desperate plight
of the people of South Sudan.
“For them, we must
stop the fighting, end the violence, deal with criminality,
prevent sexual and human rights abuses, reduce human suffering
and address the economic crisis,” said Mogae.
“I reiterate my call
to all South Sudanese stakeholders that, as they come to the
table in search of a sustainable political solution, they must
renounce violence and demonstrate the political will to
compromise and accommodate one another,” he said.
“It is simply not
possible to overstate the fundamental necessity for an immediate
cessation of all hostilities. Without that, we stand no chance
of stemming the tide of displacement, enabling unhindered
delivery of aid to those in need or contemplating the return of
IDPs (internally displaced persons) and refugees to their
homes”, he said.
The JMEC has been
established among others to oversee the implementation of the
agreement on the resolution of the conflict in South Sudan.
Cholera kills more than 400
people in South Sudan since mid 2016: WHO
JUBA South Sudan (Xinhua) --
A cholera outbreak in South Sudan has claimed 462
lives and affected 21,571 others since the onset of the outbreak
on June 18, 2016, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on
WHO said in a
statement issued in Juba that this has been the longest and
largest outbreak in magnitude and geographical extent, its
impact exacerbated by the protracted crisis, insecurity,
displacements and declining access to safe drinking water and
“As part of the
ongoing cholera response, the Ministry of Health of South Sudan
with support from WHO and partners has deployed cholera vaccines
to complement traditional cholera response strategies in several
high-risk populations and locations,” it said.
According to the WHO
Epidemiologist Joseph Wamala, the use of Oral Cholera Vaccine
will bridge the transition from cholera treatment and emergency
water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) interventions to multi-sectoral
interventions including long-term WASH interventions to prevent
recurrence of outbreaks in cholera hotspots.
“From the 2.18
million doses secured by WHO in 2017, a total of 1.13 million
doses have already been deployed with 879, 239 doses used during
the first round and 254,340 doses utilized in second round
campaigns in 16 cholera-affected and high-risk populations
countrywide,” the UN agency said.
WHO in collaboration
with the ministry of health and partners, recently resolved to
develop a revised cholera response strategy that is aligned with
the Global Cholera Roadmap 2030.
The strategy will
aim to reduce cholera deaths by 90 percent before 2030 in South
Sudan, WHO said.
To attain this
target, the overall leadership and coordination of cholera
prevention and response activities will be enhanced through the
formation of a multi-sectoral cholera control program
“When used alongside
other interventions for improving access to safe water and
sanitation, oral cholera vaccines are very effective for cholera
prevention and control, giving protection to those at risk,
especially when the recommended two doses are administered,”
said Pinyi, Director General for Preventive Services at the
Ministry of Health of South Sudan.
The campaigns in
Kapoeta South, Kapoeta East, and Tonj East are already underway
from Dec. 12 to 17.