LAGOS, (Xinhua) --
The Nigerian government on Tuesday described the
death of 26 of its citizens in Mediterranean sea as most
unfortunate and tragic.
Senior Special Assistant to the President on Foreign Affairs and
Diaspora said in a statement reaching Xinhua that promising
young Nigerians embarking on such dangerous journeys, in search
of greener pastures, end up faced rather with hopelessness,
torture, despair and sometimes death, as in this case.
She added that the
deaths of these young Nigerians, mostly women and girls were
avoidable and preventable, noting that it is tragic and
“It is just not
worth it ultimately,” she said.
According to her,
there has to be sustained awareness campaigns on the dangers
inherent in such journeys.
are getting tougher all over, she added.
President Muhammadu Buhari has been working with the
International Organization of Migration, to bring back voluntary
returnees, pointing out that it was not usually greener out
there, even if survived.
While appealing to
the Italian authorities to ensure thorough investigations into
the deaths, the presidential aide, advised Nigerians to desist
from such journeys.
trips are usually paid for, sometimes as high as 4,500 U.S.
dollars as inhumane traffickers profit from the illicit
business, luring the victims who ignorantly fall for the
apparently fake lure of a better life out there,” she said.
that the boats now being used are getting smaller and more
dangerous, and those on the other side are not particularly
willing to save them from drowning any more.
No fewer than 26
Nigerians were reportedly got drowned in the Mediterranean Sea
prosecutors had begun an investigation into the deaths of the
victims, mostly teenagers, though hundreds of other migrants
Nigeria to investigate death of
26 citizens in Mediterranean sea
ABUJA, (Xinhua) --
Nigeria will probe the recent death of 26 of its
citizens in the Mediterranean sea while traveling to Italy, the
Senate said Thursday.
In a resolution at a
plenary in Abuja, the country’s Senate said an inter-agency
committee of the foreign ministry, the Nigerian Immigration
Service and the National Agency for the Prohibition of
Trafficking in Persons will immediately work out a strategy to
check the unfortunate development.
According to the
Senate, Italian investigators had so far arrested two suspects,
an Egyptian and a Libyan.
The Senate said it
was necessary to investigate the deaths of the female citizens,
noting, as of last May, about 10,000 Nigerians had reportedly
perished along the Sahara Desert-Libya-Mediterranean Sea route.
confirmed Tuesday that the 26 Nigerians, mostly teenagers, got
drowned in the Mediterranean Sea on Sunday.
Hundreds of other
migrants survived the incident.