Kamau NAIROBI (Xinhua) -- Kenya chances of hosting the
2018 Africa Home Nations Championships (CHAN) hinge on a ‘miracle’
the country’s former football chief claimed on Monday.
The Confederation of African Football
(CAF) Executive Committee is expected to announce the final verdict
on Saturday in Ghana and speaking to local media, Sam Nyamweya
declared it was highly unlikely Kenya will get the final clearance
to stage the tournament.
“I don’t see it happening. One thing
about FIFA and CAF based on my experience is that they do not
compromise on international standards. It is unfortunate that we
are cheating ourselves we can host the CHAN because by now, we
ought to have been through 80 to 90 percent of the preparations.
“Look for example, the Kipchoge
Stadium. It will take over three months for the three floors to
be ready based on the time it takes for each to dry. I visited
Nyayo the other day and it is deplorable,” said Nyamweya who led
the winning 2018 CHAN bid team in 2014.
His successor at Football Kenya
Federation (FKF), Nick Mwendwa, was non-committal on the country’s
chances following the final inspection of facilities earmarked for
CHAN by CAF last week.
“CAF will meet in Accra on Saturday
and determine the fate of CHAN. That’s what we know, so we
wait,” Mwendwa said briefly when contacted by a local website.
“CHAN preparations are going on and
for now we are on course,” 2018 CHAN Local Organising Committee
Deputy Chief Executive Officer and event Director, Herbert
Mwachiro, added without giving any further details.
It comes after a press conference
planned for last Saturday in Nairobi where the CAF inspectors, FKF
and Government officials were expected to give an update on the fate
of Kenya hosting the CHAN was cancelled at the last moment.
The Executive Committee, led by the
continental governing body’s President, Ahmad Ahmad, will discusses
the 2018 CHAN in Ghana with South Africa and Morocco reported to be
on standby should Kenya be stripped of the second tier continental
The inspection team was led by CAF
second Vice-President, Constant Omari Selemani, who doubles up as
the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) Football Association chief
was cancelled at the last minute without explanation.
Omari was accompanied by CAF
tournaments director Mohammed El Shawarby, IT director Tarek El Deeb,
competitions deputy director Khaled Nassar, service deputy director
Abdel Razek, media manager Mohammed Thabet and marketing and TV
assistant Amira Amin.
“I don’t feel this thing will take
place and if it doesn’t, we might never get the hosting rights
for any other CAF event. The 2018 CHAN was the start of great
things to come. I was promised the CAF AFCON (Africa Cup of
Nations) next and even possibly, the FIFA World Cup.
“It will be a miracle if we get to
host it. I’m pained because I used my family resources that no
one has refunded and come December when everything should be
ready, I don’t see it happening,” Nyamweya, the long-serving
football administrator, who lost the February 2016 FKF
presidential election to Mwendwa, claimed.
The DRC football boss advised CAF to
proceed with the final inspection visit after Omari toured the
country a fortnight ago on his own to access the situation owing to
the simmering political temperatures as Kenya heads for a
presidential run-off, tentatively on Oct.17.
Kenya finally approves US $42 million
dollars 2018 CHAN budget