Coastweek website



Kenya wildlife agency rescue mission
searches for body of Chinese tourist

NAIROBI (Xinhua) -- Kenya’s wildlife agency said Monday rescuers had launched search for the body of Chinese tourist who died while descending from Mountain Kenya’s Batian point, the highest peak, on Sunday.

Kenya Wildlife Service (KWS) Corporate Communications Officer Ngugi Gecaga said the searchers had not made much progress due to the nature of the terrain and prevailing weather condition.

“The search team consisting of technical climbers is already at the scene but no progress has been made due to the prevailing weather conditions,” Gecaga told Xinhua.

Paul Gathitu, KWS spokesman, clarified that the man was a 33-year-old Chinese citizen born in Shanghai. He died while descending Mt. Kenya’s Batian Summit, which is 5,199 meters above sea level. His climbing partner was a Kenyan technical climbing guide.

Gathitu said the duo had already reached the summit, and was in the process of descending when the accident happened at around 3 p.m. on Sunday near a short climb from Batian.

The tourist slipped and fell 60 meters down a cliff. His guide then descended to the accident scene and discovered that he was dead. The guide secured the body and commenced a self-rescue, whereupon he managed to clamber down to safety, arriving at Shipton Camp at 10 p.m., according to Gathitu.

Gecaga had earlier said it would take about three days to retrieve the body due to the terrain and adverse weather conditions.



Chinese tourist dies from fall while climbing Mount Kenya

NAIROBI (Xinhua) -- A Chinese tourist died from fall while climing Mount Kenya’s tallest peak on Sunday evening, Kenyan wildlife officials confirmed on Monday.

Kenya Wildlife Service (KWS) Assistant Director Simon Gitau said the 33-year-old man from Hong Kong climbed the mountain but fell down while returning.

“The tourist had actually climbed the mountain but fell down while returning. He was a professional climber,” Gitau told Xinhua.

According to KWS Corporate Communications Manager Ngugi Gecaga, the service had sent a professional rescue mission to retrieve the victim’s body but said the mission could take about three days due to poor weather.

“Weather is very bad at the moment. Snow is quite a lot and retrieval operation may not be easy but we have sent an experienced rescue team to the scene,” he told Xinhua.

Mount Kenya is the highest mountain in Kenya and the second-highest in Africa after Kilimanjaro.



Remember: you read it first at !


Please contact

MOMBASA - GULSHAN JIVRAJ, Mobile: 0722 775164 Tel: (+254) (41) 2230130 /
Wireless: 020 3549187 e-mail:

NAIROBI - ANJUM H. ASODIA, Mobile: 0733 775446 Tel: (+254) (020) 3744459

    © Coastweek Newspapers Limited               Tel: (+254) (41) 2230130  |  Wireless: 020 3549187  |  E-mail: