NAIROBI (Xinhua) --
Kenyan authorities on Saturday confirmed that 33
cases of suspected cholera have been reported in the past two
days from a trade forum which ended in Nairobi on Wednesday.
Nairobi County Government Health Executive, Bernard Muia said 33
patients are admitted in various hospitals in Nairobi and
doctors are expected to release final results on the suspected
"Those admitted are recovering well, we have no fatalities
and according to the latest report they are doing well," Muia
told journalists in Nairobi. The victims ate food served during
the Kenya Trade Week held in Nairobi this week.
National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich and his
Trade and Industrialization counterpart Adan Mohamed are among
patients admitted to a Nairobi hospital with suspected symptoms
Mohamed who had symptoms was however treated and discharged
Friday evening. However, Mohamed’s Trade Principal Secretary
Chris Kiptoo is still hospitalized.
However, Director of Medical Services Jackson Kioko
downplayed the issue saying that the information he had received
indicated that the two government officials and others were
suffering from food poisoning.
Rotich was rushed to the hospital on Thursday.
The Trade Week which kicked off in Nairobi from July 10-12
was opened by Rotich and Mohamed in Nairobi and several staff
from both ministries attended.
Journalists were among those treated in various health
facilities with similar complaints.
Speaking to journalists in Nairobi, Muia banned open air
cooking in the city to prevent an outbreak of cholera in Nairobi
adding that stringent measures will be enforced to ensure
outside caterers adhere to health standards.
"Those sources of food particularly the outsourced food
should not serve any event until the cooking of that food has
been checked by a public health officer and given a go ahead,"
So far, 96 cholera cases have been confirmed in the city in
the past two months.
Three fatalities have been reported so far.
The incident comes weeks after several doctors were
hospitalized following a reportedly cholera outbreak while
attending a workshop at Weston Hotel in Nairobi.
The ministry did not state the outcome of their probe into
the first outbreak and were accused of covering up the incident.