JUBA, (Xinhua) --
The South Sudanese army (SPLA) said on Monday
that it killed 23 rebel fighters during renewed clashes in
northern South Sudan over the weekend.
SPLA Spokesman Lul
Ruai Koang told Xinhua that fresh fighting in Yuai area in the
newly created Bieh state left at least 23 opposition fighters
“On Sunday, hostile
forces loyal to Riek Machar attacked our defensive positions at
Yuai in Bieh State. Our forces were able to repulse the attack
with heavy causalities. 23 rebel fighters were killed and we
also captured some weaponry,” Koang said.
Koang declined to
give casualties figures on the side of the government, saying
that “the government troops are paying a price to ensure that
civilians are not killed and ensure that strategic grounds are
He said last week, a
senior army officer at the rank of a colonel and four of his
body guards were killed in the former Eastern Equatoria state.
South Sudan has been
devastated by civil war that broke out in December 2013 after
President Salva Kiir accused his former deputy Riek Machar of
plotting a coup. Machar denied the accusation but then mobilized
a rebel force.
A peace deal signed
in August 2015 led to the formation of a transitional unity
government in April, but was again shattered by fresh violence
in July, 2016.
Tens of thousands of
South Sudanese have been killed, with over 2 million displaced
and another 4.6 million left severely food insecure, since
Last month, the UN
declared localized famine in parts of South Sudan, warning that
some 100,000 people, nearly half of the population is in dire
need of food aid.