(Xinhua) -- The second batch of Kenya Defence Forces (KDF)
soldiers arrived in Kenya on Friday as the country’s opposition
criticized the order to have them withdraw from South Sudan’s
The first batch of another 100
soldiers arrived from Juba on Wednesday. So far, 200 soldiers who
were taking part in the South Sudan mission have returned home.
They are among the 1,000 soldiers to
return home after President Uhuru Kenyatta announced he would pull
out Kenyan troops serving under the UN Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS)
following the sacking of the Kenyan commander of the UNMISS over
the hotel attack in Juba in July.
A UN report attributed the July
attacks on a civilian compound and a site that houses UN staff to
lack of leadership among key senior mission personnel, which
culminated in a chaotic and ineffective response to the violence.
Meanwhile, Opposition leader Raila
Odinga on Friday faulted Kenyatta for ordering KDF troops to
withdraw from South Sudan, saying the Kenyan leader may have made
the decision out of anger and without due consultation on its
“The manner in which the president has
handled this particular incident and the unnecessary diplomatic
row he is opening with the international community through the
UN is regrettable,” Odinga said.
Kenyatta strongly defended Kenya’s
decision to pull troops out of South Sudan, saying regional peace
should not come at the expense of the country’s dignity, honor and
Kenyatta reiterated that the
structural failures of the mission should not be blamed on the
“Even if there were problems, it would
have been courteous for the UN to consult IGAD
(Inter-Governmental Authority on Development) member states
before taking the drastic decision,” Kenyatta said.
He said Kenya has communicated its
decision and forwarded its complains to the UN Secretary-General Ban