Diamond Trust Bank banner | Coastweek


THE MOST FROM THE COAST !

..


 Coastweek website


XINHUA NEWS SERVICE REPORTS FROM THE AFRICAN CONTINENT

 
Mozambique government declares 'red alert' over food insecurity

MAPUTO Mozambique (Xinhua) -- The government of Mozambique has declared an institutional 'red alert' as 1.5 million people across the country are being seriously affected by lack of food due to droughts.

"Due to this, the government decided to declare red alert for a period of 90 days with the following purposes: intensification of assistance for the affected people and the expansion of the areas of intervention by the government and cooperation partners," said government spokesperson, Mouzinho Saide.

Saide said the government will be releasing funds in order to assist people affected by food insecurity.

The southern African country is seriously affected by the El Nino phenomenon this year, which resulted in the floods in the north and droughts in the south and central parts of the nation.

The National Disasters Management Institute (INGC) has estimated that it needs 13 million U.S. dollars a month to aid victims of the drought in the southern and central provinces.

INGC said that about 1.5 million people are currently in a situation of food insecurity, of whom 315,000 are currently receiving food aid.

In terms of the number of people affected, the provinces worst hit by the drought are Tete and Sofala in the center of the country and Gaza in the south.

According to the latest figures from the INGC, the number of those affected by the floods in northern provinces is revised downwards to 10,000, and the situation in the north was now under control.
.

EARLIER REPORT:

Mozambique government to launch tender for 14 bridges’ reconstruction

MAPUTO Mozambique (Xinhua) -- The government of Mozambique announced on Wednesday in central Zambezia province that it will launch an international public tender for the reconstruction of 14 metallic bridges which were destroyed by the floods.

Daniel Patel, the National Road Delegate in Zambezia province, said this is the second time the government will launch the tender, the first time was called off due to high cost the selected company presented.

"What happened was that soon after evaluating the financial proposal of the selected contractor, it was beyond the budget established by the government so the tender was called off. Now we are preparing the re-launch, and by September we may have the entire process concluded," said Patel.

There are all together 14 bridges destroyed and partially destroyed by the floods during last year’s rainy season in Zambezia province.

Presently, accessibility in that province is at 87 percent, after different interventions to restore road accessibility, which was only at 48 percent shortly after the floods.

             

 

Remember: you read it first at coastweek.com !


 

TO ADVERTISE ON THIS WEB SITE:  www.coastweek.com
Please contact

MOMBASA - GULSHAN JIVRAJ, Mobile: 0722 775164 Tel: (+254) (41) 2230130 /
Wireless: 020 3549187 e-mail: info@coastweek.com

NAIROBI - ANJUM H. ASODIA, Mobile: 0733 775446 Tel: (+254) (020) 3744459
e-mail: anjum@asodia.co.ke

 
    © Coastweek Newspapers Limited               Tel: (+254) (41) 2230130  |  Wireless: 020 3549187  |  E-mail: info@coastweek.com