and Rwanda bid for Cecafa
Senior Challenge Cup tourney
last hosted the tournament in 2009 while
the tiny landlocked Rwanda has hosted the
regional tournament twice - in 1999 and 2005
REPORT BY XINHUA Sportswriter
had put in their bids to stage the 2013 Council of
East and Central Africa Football Associations (Cecafa)
Senior Challenge Cup tournament, an official of
Cecafa said on Sunday.
regional tournament brings together teams from
, South Sudan,
. There is also room for two invitations for teams
outside the region.
Musonye, the Cecafa Secretary General, told
reporters in Nairobi that Kenya have to outbid
Rwanda if they want the nod to host the
prestigious regional tournament, having been
overlooked by the Council congress early this year
to take the event to Uganda.
have to say it categorical that the notion and
romous created that
is automatic host of the event in 2013 is wrong.
The Cecafa general assemble decided to make the
bid open and two countries had shown interest—
,” Musonye told Xinhua, Sunday in
last hosted the tournament in
2009 while the tiny landlocked
has hosted the regional tournament twice - in 1999
’s Permanent Secretary in the
Ministry of Sports and Culture Edward Kalisa has
thrown down the gauntlet eyeing to outmuscle
in the bid.
is studying the requirements needed to host the
event. Once we hold talks with Cecafa and review
the requirements, then we will be able to have a
final say on our chances. But we are positive on
hosting the regional championship,” said
decision will be made in March 2013 on the
sidelines of the Caf Congress in
will make their final speeches for the hosting
rights that have now apparently become
Kenya Federation (FKF) Chairman Sam Nyamweya has
confirmed that Kenya is ready to stage the
championships, saying Cecafa general assemble had
promised to honour its earlier pledge to bring the
event in the country.
had granted us the 2012 event, but last minute
changes saw them take it to
. But they pledged to bring it to
in 2013 and I believe they will honour it,”
has played host to the Africa
Under-17 and U-20 competitions before, a feat
unequaled in the region.
(Xinhua) -- The committee preparing for
Cup of Nations (AFCON) 2013 in
on Sunday announced the country is ready to host
Local Organizing Committee Chief Executive Officer
Mvuzo Mbebe said this at the ceremony of naming
the South African national team to take part in
are 21 days for the biggest soccer event in
to start,” Mbebe said. “We have put in place
plans that will ensure that every team is
provided with the necessary environment and
conditions conducive to compete equally.”
committee has formed sub-committees with the
police and Department of Home Affairs to assist
those attending the AFCON.
encouraged South Africans to fill the stadia and
support the South African national team.
the same occasion the national team coach Gordon
Igesund announced his 23-man team would take part
in AFCON 2013.
coach named a strong squad consisting of the
experienced players, saying “we had the best of
the best in the camp, with excellent players
competing against each other for positions.”
called on South Africans and the media to rally
behind the national team, adding, “Now that
the final squad has been selected, the focus is
on the tournament, your support will be very
crucial to see us through.”
departments in the South African government
have formed clusters to assist the
successful hosting of AFCON 2013.
of Home Affairs announced that they would beef up
the staff at the entry points to assist high
volume of visitors during the tournament.
2013 was previously planned to be hosted by
, however, the the African soccer ruling body CAF
later decided to move the competition to